3 Upcoming Events: Justice in the fields, Equality in the Food System and Fighting Duke Energy

Sammy Slade

Sep 24, 2013, 3:16:45 PM9/24/13

Dear all,

3 upcoming events worth checking out/becoming a part of, (more details for each further down).

--Sammy

Please spread the word:

1) TONIGHT, Tuesday, September 24
RALEIGH, DURHAM & CHAPEL HILL
7:00 pm: CIW Presentation: Justice in the Fields and the Food We Eat
Gardner Hall, Room 105, UNC Chapel Hill
Flyer attached // Facebook

2) NEXT TUESDAY, October 1: A Community Conversation on Equality in the Food System

5:30, Vimala's Curryblossum Cafe, 431 W Franklin St, Chapel Hill

3) NEXT THURSDAY, October 3rd:  The first meeting to organize a Triangle “Duke Action Group,” which will be a network of people who want to build a "Corporate Campaign" to pressure Duke Energy to change its business model from expensive, climate threatening fossil fuels to a sustainable plan utilizing renewable energy and energy efficiency that doesn't unfairly burden those least able to afford it.
at 7:00 at the SE Durham Library located at 4505 S. Alston Rd. in Durham (right off exit 278 on I-40)

--------------------------

The Coalition of Immokalee Workers is headed in your direction! We're heading out today a van of folks on a two-week Publix Truth Tour throughout the Southeast US to call on Florida-based Publix Supermarkets to quit its four years of fooling around and join the Fair Food Program.

We're coming because, as you may have heard, Publix just announced its plans to "aggressively" expand throughout North Carolina. We're looking to allies in the Triangle to help us send a strong message to Publix: You can't expand your stores without expanding your commitment to human rights!

Our visit is coming up fast -- the tour is coming to the Triangle this Monday and Tuesday.

Saludos,

Jake and the Immokalee Crew

Monday, September 23
RALEIGH, DURHAM & CHAPEL HILL

5:30 pm: CIW presentation and dinner at Eno River UU Fellowship, followed by Harvest of Dignity film screening
4907 Garrett Road, Durham
RSVP to michael...@mac.com //
Facebook

___________________________

NEXT TUESDAY, October 1: A Community Conversation on Equality in the Food System

5:30, Vimala's Curryblossum Cafe, 431 W Franklin St, Chapel Hill

Please join us for a conversation with Tom Philpott and Vimala Rajendran on food justice trends over the past decade, and looking to the future.

Tom Philpott is food and agriculture correspondent for Mother Jones and the cofounder of Maverick Farms. For five years, Philpott served as a columnist, food editor, and senior food writer for the online environmental site Grist and his work has appeared in The New York Times, Newsweek, the Guardian, and others. Food & Wine named Philpott one of "ten innovators" who "will continue to shape the culinary consciousness of our country for the next 30 years."

Vimala Rajendran is a local chef, restaurant owner, and community leader. Vimala has degrees in Political Science, Early Childhood Education and Educational Media Technology (M.Ed). She is the co-Founder and current Board President of The Peoples Channel and Durham Community Media. As the chef-owner of Vimala's Curryblossom Cafe, Vimala manages a successful micro-loan funded restaurant that is a popular community-building space.

All are welcome. Please come prepared to contribute to the discussion, with questions and ideas to share.

Contact flo...@gmail.com with any questions, and please join the Facebook event!

NEXT THURSDAY, October 3rd:  The first meeting to organize a Triangle “Duke Action Group,”

The first meeting to organize a Triangle “Duke Action Group,” which will be a network of people who want to build a "Corporate Campaign" to pressure Duke Energy to change its business model from expensive, climate threatening fossil fuels to a sustainable plan utilizing renewable energy and energy efficiency that doesn't unfairly burden those least able to afford it.
The initial meeting will be held on Thursday, October 3 at 7:00 at the SE Durham Library located at 4505 S. Alston Rd. in Durham (right off exit 278 on I-40).  People interested in moving the Duke campaign forward and planning a demonstration are encouraged to come and invite others they think may be interested.  Please email me at ncwar...@gmail.com or call at (919) 616-0889 to RSVP or ask any questions.

PublixTruthTour_DescriptionEnglish.pdf
UNCChapelHillFlyer.pdf