Re: transitioncch-energy: RE: TT/adv bd

Rainer Dammers

May 4, 2011, 6:50:04 PM5/4/11
to transitio...@googlegroups.com, Transition Energy, transitio...@googlegroups.org, transitioncch-...@googlegroups.org, sammy...@hotmail.com, coleman....@gmail.com

Yep - for the past 2 years I chair the bicycle and pedestrian advisory board and we have achieved quite a bit to foster alternative transportation. Many of the approved projects on side walks and bike facilities are of course still in the pipeline to be implemented in the coming years.

regards, Rainer Dammers
Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

From: Sammy Slade <sammy...@hotmail.com>;
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 17:59:53 -0400
From: coleman....@gmail.com
To: sammy...@hotmail.com
Subject: TT/adv bd

Sammy,
Please send this email to the TT listservs. Thanks.

Dear Transition Carrboro,
    I want to invite Carrboro transitioners to consider serving on a town advisory board as part of your work toward a more resilient future. Although this work may not match the value of your activism as part of Transition Town, there are important contributions to be made.
    Advisory boards of interest include the Planning Board, the Environmental Advisory Board, the Economic Sustainability Commission, the Recreation and Parks Commission, and the Transportation Advisory Board, most of which have current vacancies. We also have an opening coming up on the OWASA Board of Directors. The latter is a key position, one requiring a greater commitment, setting policy for our water/sewer utility.
    For information on these boards, go to http://www.townofcarrboro.org/AdvBoards/advbrds.htm

    With questions or to discuss your interest in serving, please contact me or Sammy.

Dan Coleman
coleman....@gmail.com

Sammy Slade
sammy...@hotmail.com

Tana M. Hartman

May 5, 2011, 1:20:25 AM5/5/11
to rainer_...@yahoo.com, transitio...@googlegroups.com, Transition Energy, transitio...@googlegroups.org, transitioncch-...@googlegroups.org, sammy...@hotmail.com, coleman....@gmail.com

Right on, Dan, Sammy, and Rainer!  One of the few recourses left to us is the possibility of becoming involved in our own governance locally. Self-governance is key to reclaiming political sovereignty and to protecting what remnants are left of democracy in this country.

And from what I’ve seen of the Transitioners in this area, we have some great potential candidates for these positions. Here’s a chance to take a bit of responsibility and control over our future.

To paraphrase, I think, the ancient Jewish scholar, Hillel:  If not we, then who?  If not now, then when?

I’m thinking about one or two of these openings myself but need to know a bit more before I decide to apply.

Tana

wilpf_template

When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral system that glorifies it.  Frederic Bastiat, The Law (1850)

The first thing to understand is the difference between the natural person and the fictitious person called a corporation. They differ in the purpose for which they are created, in the strength which they possess, and in the restraints under which they act. [....] Man is the handiwork of God and was placed upon earth to carry out a Divine purpose; the corporation is the handiwork of man and created to carry out a money-making policy. [....] There is comparatively little difference in the strength of men; a corporation may be one hundred, one thousand, or even one million times stronger than the average man. Man acts under the restraints of conscience, and is influenced also by a belief in a future life. A corporation has no soul and cares nothing about the hereafter.   William Jennings Bryan, Address to the 1912 Ohio Constitutional Convention

A corporation is an artificial being, invisible, intangible, and existing only in contemplation of law. Being the mere creature of law, it possesses only those properties which the charter of creation confers upon it, either expressly, or as incidental to its very existence. These are such as are supposed best calculated to effect the object for which it was created.  Chief Justice John Marshall, Majority Opinion, Dartmouth College v. Woodward, 1819

If there is no struggle, there is no progress.  Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation . . . want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightening. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. [. . .]  Power concedes nothing without a demand.  It never did and it never will.  The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.   Frederick Douglass

image001.gif

Anthony Pergolotti

May 5, 2011, 9:40:12 AM5/5/11
to tmha...@nc.rr.com, rainer_...@yahoo.com, transitio...@googlegroups.com, Transition Energy, transitio...@googlegroups.org, transitioncch-...@googlegroups.org, sammy...@hotmail.com, coleman....@gmail.com
I've been volunteering for the Carrboro TAB for 2 years now.  It's a great way to learn more about the issues (and accomplishments!) of this great town and to provide input from your experiences along with the experiences and insight of your friends, neighbors, and family in town.