ScheduleViewer (of google/transitfeed) fix + on-web deploy

Nikhil VJ

Mar 5, 2019, 1:32:42 PM3/5/19
to Transit Developers
Hi,

This is for people using the GTFS ScheduleViewer to visualize their GTFS feeds, (https://github.com/google/transitfeed/wiki/ScheduleViewer)

Recently the map view stopped working : console log said the google maps api key being used has expired.

The wiki page says we can supply in our own key, but I discovered with this stoppage that actually the program was using some other key hard-coded into its gtfsscheduleviewer/files/index.html file. (And we've all been using someone else's key this entire time!) So I edited that, put in my key, and the program works again now.

It's an awesome tool, by the way. Kudos to the makers. Totally due for a design overhaul, but functionally it's the quickest way I'm able to show my colleagues what our feed actually contains. The Marey graph used is incredibly useful - the code is all there, hope to hack and reuse it someday.

-------------

For those wanting to deploy this tool on the web from a cloud based server, I'll share how I do it on my DigitalOcean server - I've put this in my crontab so it loads automatically on restart:

nohup python /root/hmrl-scheduleviewer/schedule_viewer.py --port 5090 /root/Pune.zip >> /root/scheduleviewer.log &

(change your folder paths appropriately)

Then it's up and running on http://<my server url>:5090/
I use different port numbers to spin up different feeds.

Oh and if the server's set up with a standard firewall etc then we have to:
sudo ufw allow 5090
..to allow visitors to access at that port num.

I had tried deploying it at a more human-readable subfolder-like path, but the program failed then because it didn't have relative paths for the embedded images etc - needed everything at top.

With a little work, one can deploy it on a free herokuapp.com account as well. If someone needs more details for that then let me know.

Regards
Nikhil VJ
Pune, India

Tom Brown

Mar 6, 2019, 9:31:51 PM3/6/19
to transit-d...@googlegroups.com
Ha, I thought it was put out to the pasture years ago. Thank you for the kind words for the contributors. I wrote a lot of it in 2007 and since then various people have added some features and kept it mostly working (https://github.com/google/transitfeed/commits/master/gtfsscheduleviewer). Hats off to Google Maps for supporting a JS API in any form for so long. I only ever ran it listening to 127.0.0.1 and encourage you to do the same.

Recently I've been turning to transitfeeds.com (for exploring details of a GTFS file) and transit.land (https://mobility-explorer.interline.io is really nice) though I get that these are limited to published data, at least for today ;-)