How do I record services which allow bikes only on part of the route?

Michael Tsang

Aug 23, 2023, 4:32:17 PM8/23/23
to Transit Developers
Hi all,

What is the proper way to denote a particular service which only allows carrying bikes on part of the route (e.g. the overground section of a tube route), or a service which allows carrying bikes, but not to board / alight with the bike at a certain intermediate station?

Thanks,
Michael

Richard Wolf

Aug 23, 2023, 6:03:36 PM8/23/23
to 'Brian Ferris' via Transit Developers
Just thinking out loud ... would that be a good use for route_desc (routes.txt) and/or stop_desc (stops.txt) ... say, a stop_desc of "Bikes are not allowed to alight or board at this station" or a route_desc with "Bikes are not allowed on board trains traveling between the X and Y stations" ... something like that? Not sure that gurus would label that "proper", but it seems like it might be a good basic fit for those fields.

Michael Tsang

Aug 23, 2023, 6:06:08 PM8/23/23
to 'Richard Wolf' via Transit Developers
I am planning to set up an instance of OpenTripPlanner to handle bike on train and need it to route me and my bike correctly on London Underground services.

23 Aug 2023 23:03:41 'Richard Wolf' via Transit Developers <transit-d...@googlegroups.com>:

> Just thinking out loud ... would that be a good use for route_desc (routes.txt) and/or stop_desc (stops.txt) ... say, a stop_desc of "Bikes are not allowed to alight or board at this station" or a route_desc with "Bikes are not allowed on board trains traveling between the X and Y stations" ... something like that? Not sure that gurus would label that "proper", but it seems like it might be a good basic fit for those fields.
>

>> On Aug 23, 2023, at 6:56 AM, Michael Tsang <mik...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> What is the proper way to denote a particular service which only allows carrying bikes on part of the route (e.g. the overground section of a tube route), or a service which allows carrying bikes, but not to board / alight with the bike at a certain intermediate station?
>

> --

signature.asc

Richard Wolf

Aug 23, 2023, 7:07:03 PM8/23/23
to transit-d...@googlegroups.com
Hmm ... in that case, and I humbly ask the gurus to correct me if I'm wrong ... you're allowed to extend a GTFS feed to meet a specific use case that isn't covered in the GTFS Schedule reference:

https://gtfs.org/extensions/

You might add, for example, an enum to stops.txt to cover bikes: allows_bikes_to_board_alight, 0 = no, 1 = yes ... along with a similar solution for those routes that do not allow bikes between certain stops.