Transitshed site

Brandon Martin-Anderson

Feb 10, 2009, 12:47:20 PM2/10/09
to transit-d...@googlegroups.com, graph...@googlegroups.com
Morning everyone,

I'd like to share something I've been working on. It's called
Transitshed, and it's here:

http://ec2-75-101-230-178.compute-1.amazonaws.com/index

You enter a time and click on the map to see everywhere you can get,
using public transit, within a certain amount of time. This is a
temporary demo, and it's bound to either crash or be taken down as I
work on it.

-B

Joe Hughes

Feb 10, 2009, 1:17:36 PM2/10/09
to graph...@googlegroups.com, transit-d...@googlegroups.com
Wow! I think that this is the first time-travel map that I've ever
seen that can recalculate for arbitrary points.

Is it the same cost to do an arrive-by query?

Joe

Brandon Martin-Anderson

Feb 10, 2009, 1:22:01 PM2/10/09
to transit-d...@googlegroups.com
Nope, it's just a depart-at query. Arrive-by queries are broken in the
repo HEAD, at the moment.

-B

Roger Slevin

Feb 10, 2009, 1:30:42 PM2/10/09
to transit-d...@googlegroups.com, graph...@googlegroups.com
Brilliant - once I realised that it doesn't work on IE6 and I switched to
using Firefox, where it does work!

Roger

Kieran Huggins

Feb 10, 2009, 1:52:20 PM2/10/09
to transit-d...@googlegroups.com
Very cool, Brandon!

Roger Slevin wrote:
Brilliant - once I realised that it doesn't work on IE6 and I switched to
using Firefox, where it does work!

Another one saved ;-) Let's hope the switch is permanent!

Marc Pfister

Feb 10, 2009, 3:10:28 PM2/10/09
to Transit Developers
Neato! Is it using alpha shapes or (judging by the name) watershed
algorithms?

Marc

Brandon Martin-Anderson

Feb 10, 2009, 3:47:45 PM2/10/09
to transit-d...@googlegroups.com
It's using quikgrid to generate the contour polygons.
http://code.google.com/p/quikgrid/ . Mad props.

-B

Marc Pfister

Feb 10, 2009, 4:37:23 PM2/10/09
to Transit Developers
On Feb 10, 12:47 pm, Brandon Martin-Anderson <badh...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> It's using quikgrid to generate the contour polygons.http://code.google.com/p/quikgrid/. Mad props.

Ah, so you're gridding all the time values then generating a contour
at the range time. Very slick, and that explains the "islands" it
generates.

Marc

NDSI

Feb 11, 2009, 9:31:40 AM2/11/09
to Transit Developers
Brandon,

This is great, the possibilities in the real-world use are endless.

Good luck.

Arvind