Docs posted on GitHub + Alternative datatype support

Brian G

Mar 7, 2015, 7:05:54 PM3/7/15
to transf...@googlegroups.com

I took a few minutes and copied the transfer docs into Github - thank god they accept HTML so I didn't have to reformat them:

https://github.com/TransferORM/transfer/wiki

Brian

Mark Mandel

Mar 7, 2015, 10:28:31 PM3/7/15
to transf...@googlegroups.com
Awesome work mate!

I really need to write up a blog post on all the hard work you've been doing.

Mark

Try out the new Transfer ORM Custom Google Search:
http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=002375903941309441958:2s7wbd5ocb8

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "transfer-dev" group.

Brian G

Mar 8, 2015, 12:22:43 AM3/8/15
to transf...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, March 7, 2015 at 7:28:31 PM UTC-8, Mark Mandel wrote:
Awesome work mate!

I really need to write up a blog post on all the hard work you've been doing.

Thanks Mark.  On one hand, I appreciate it, but on the other hand, nobody should use Transfer any longer.  Hibernate is simply a better choice but for some of us who can't easily migrate away due to complexity, I'm trying to keep things at least relevant.

I realize in my title I teased "alternative data support" but didn't actually include anything.  I updated my issue here with a list of all files and steps required to add more type support:  https://github.com/TransferORM/transfer/issues/10

You may wonder, "what other types are there?" to which I would answer: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/datatype.html  boom!

Specifically I wanted to add the latest jsonb support so I could do dynamic user-defined "columns" in a nosql approach alongside my relational data but Postgres doesn't have a built-in varchar-to-jsonb cast.  So, I needed to be able to use a <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_other" value="foo" />::jsonb

where that ::jsonb on the end causes the cast.  I did it and have it working and all the files are listed in the issue but I haven't done it in a nice clean abstract way so I can't commit my work so far.  My next test is to see if I can replace UUID with the native UUID type in Postgres which, instead of being a 35-character char is a 16-bit value (meaning storage and indexes are all about 50% of the size and therefore faster).

So, some progress, but still, use Hibernate if you can. :)

Brian