[Bike to the Future] Early September newsletter

Bike to the Future

Sep 2, 2011, 9:54:28 AM9/2/11
to Bike to the Future announcements
Hello Bike to the Future members and supporters. This is our early September newsletter.

1. September Monthly Meeting
2. Ciclovia
3. City Cycling courses -- City of Winnipeg Leisure Guide
4. The WRENCH: September news
5. Workshop: Filling the gaps in St Boniface's cycling network
6. Report: Commuter Cycling Trends in Winnipeg, 2007-2011 (bicycle counts)
7. Bicycle parking survey
8. BttF membership

Kevin Miller
Bike to the Future, Co-Chair
biketothefuture.org
____________________________

September Monthly Meeting

Our September Monthly Meeting is on Tuesday September 13 at 5:30 PM at the Sport for Life Centre.

Our July Monthly Meeting minutes have been posted at biketothefuture.org/about/meetings. Many volunteer opportunities ("Action") are listed. (Note: Our August Monthly Meeting was canceled.)
____________________________

Ciclovia

Ciclovia is a huge annual street festival and active transportation event on Sunday September 11 from 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM. There are street closures from Assiniboine Park to The Forks, with many activities, kiosks, and displays on Broadway Avenue.

Ciclovia info (including a route map and a list of activities/kiosks/displays)

Bike to the Future needs volunteers to staff our our mobile display, which is attached to our bicycle trailer. Please contact us if you are interested or need more info.

Bicycle Valet Winnipeg needs volunteers for Ciclovia. Please contact them if you are interested or need more info.

Ciclovia needs over 200 volunteers to make the day a success. If you are able to give some time, sign up to volunteer and receive a free T-shirt, meal voucher, and more.

Much more info
____________________________

City Cycling courses -- City of Winnipeg Leisure Guide

Two City Cycling courses appear on page 78 of the City of Winnipeg's Fall 2011 Leisure Guide.

City Cycling for Beginners

Do you want to ride your bike more often but just don’t feel safe? Do you want to teach your kids how to cycle safely? Can-Bike certified instructors from Bike to the Future will help you build both the knowledge and confidence to start riding on the streets and trails in Winnipeg. The course is endorsed by the Manitoba Cycling Association, and each participant will receive a copy of the 2011 Winnipeg Cycling Map.
Fee: $43
When: Saturday September 17; Noon–4:00pm
Where: Fort Rouge Leisure Centre, 625 Osborne Street
Leisure Guide Course ID: 401595

City Cycling for Commuters

Would you like to start commuting but are uncomfortable on busier streets? Are you already commuting, but want to learn the cycling skills that will allow you to ride safely in heavier traffic? Certified Can-Bike instructors from Bike to the Future will help you build the skills and knowledge to ride confidently in traffic. The course is endorsed by the Manitoba Cycling Association, and each participant will receive a copy of the 2011 Winnipeg Cycling Map.
Fee: $43
When: Saturday September 24; Noon–4:00pm
Where: Sport for Life Centre, 145 Pacific Ave at Lily St
Leisure Guide Course ID: 401594

Registration
____________________________

The WRENCH: September news (by Cara Fisher, The WRENCH's Program Director)

Volunteers Needed
We are looking for volunteers to get involved with our organization and other community bikes shops. No experience is necessary. We will be hosting monthly volunteer orientations at our workshop at 1057 Logan Ave. The next volunteer training is on Sunday September 25 from 1:00 to 4:00 PM. Come out to learn about basic bike repair, community bike shops, and how to get involved. The next volunteer training sessions are on October 16 and November 20.

Ciclovia
We will be at Ciclovia helping do basic bike repair. Come by and say hello, and find out more about us and other community bike shops. We'll be doing minor tune-ups and repairs.

If you haven't come by to see our shop, please do! Check our website for hours or call 296-3389.
____________________________

Workshop: Filling the gaps in St Boniface's cycling network

Join us Tuesday September 27 at the Norwood Community Centre for a community workshop to help refine the cycling network in St Boniface.
  • Learn more about the city’s cycling routes in St Boniface.
  • Discuss barriers to cycling in St B, and the best opportunities to overcome those barriers.
  • Help us fill in the gaps where existing routes don’t quite connect.
There will be a free bike valet service.

6:00-6:15 PM -- Registration (for the Neighbourhood Bike Ride and the Breakout Sessions)
6:15-7:30 pm -- Neighbourhood Bike Ride (optional)
7:30-7:45 pm -- Snacks / Late Registration (for the Breakout Sessions only)
7:45-9:45 pm -- Short Presentation & Breakout Sessions

All the details (including maps and posters)
___________________________

Report: Commuter Cycling Trends in Winnipeg, 2007-2011 (bicycle counts)

Since 2007, volunteers from Bike to the Future have been counting cyclists at key locations in Winnipeg during morning and afternoon rush hours. The counts take place during the first week of April, May, and June.

Jeremy Hull (BttF's research guru) has used this data to produce a report entitled Commuter Cycling Trends in Winnipeg, 2007-2011. The report, and a media release announcing it, is on our website's Publications page under 2011, Forums and Surveys.

Bike to the Future thanks Jeremy and all the volunteers who have counted cyclists.
____________________________

Bicycle parking survey

Jeremy Hull has been discussing the results of our bike counts with other people, and we think it only captures part of the picture. We are now planning to do a bicycle parking survey to supplement the bike counts we have been doing.

The survey itself would be simple -- just count the number of bikes parked at a given location at a consistent time of day on a consistent day or days of the week, but it would only be useful if we do the counts at the same location throughout the year. The best locations would be workplaces with substantial numbers of employees, larger businesses that have substantial numbers of customers, government offices that have a lot of visitors, and parkades or other locations used frequently by cyclists. This would help us determine the seasonal patterns of bicycle use, and how weather affects the numbers of cyclists. It might also help various employers and businesses figure out what the need is for bicycle parking, and how cyclists are responding to any improvements they may be making.

If you or someone you know would be interested in participating in this kind of survey, please contact Jeremy.

BttF membership

Members of Bike to the Future agree with our mission and vision and support it. We are a volunteer-run, incorporated, non-profit organization that is only as strong as our membership.

Many Bike to the Future memberships are due for renewal.

Please show your support for our work by becoming a member or renewing your membership.

Get Involved

Our website at biketothefuture.org is updated often.