[Bike to the Future] March newsletter

Bike to the Future

Mar 2, 2012, 8:29:12 PM3/2/12
to Bike to the Future announcements
Hello! This is Bike to the Future's March newsletter.

1. Open Houses: Blue Bombers' stadium -- Event Day Management Plan -- AT aspect

2. Volunteer wanted: Pit Stop Assistant for Bike to Work Day

3. March Monthly Meeting
4. Webinars

5. City Cycling courses -- City of Winnipeg's Leisure Guide
6. BttF memberships / donations

Kevin Miller

Bike to the Future, Secretary
biketothefuture.org

____________________________

Open Houses: Blue Bombers' stadium -- Event Day Management Plan -- AT aspect

You are encouraged to attend an open house and comment on the active transportation aspect of the new stadium's Event Day Management Plan. This is undoubtedly the first time active transportation will have an opportunity to have a significant effect in reducing vehicle congestion at stadium events.

There are six open houses:

February 29: Dalhousie School library, 262 Dalhousie Drive, 4:00 to 8:30 PM
March 3: Canad Inn Fort Garry, 1824 Pembina Hwy, 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM

March 5: Canad Inn Garden City, 2100 McPhillips Street, 4:30 to 8:00 PM
March 6: Access Transcona, 845 Regent Ave, 4:30 to 8:00 PM

March 7: Sturgeon Heights Community Centre, 210 Rita Street, 4:30 to 8:00 PM
March 8: Bronx Park Community Centre, 720 Henderson Hwy, 4:30 to 8:00 PM

Complete info
____________________________

Volunteer wanted: Pit Stop Assistant for Bike to Work Day

Bike to Work Day Winnipeg is looking for an enthusiastic and organized individual to join our steering committee as Pit Stop Assistant. This is a volunteer position that requires the candidate to be available for monthly planning meetings, as well as put in a few extra hours as needed to make the event a success (~4 to 10 hours per month). This person must also be available on Bike to Work Day (June 22) to assist the Pit Stop Coordinator in servicing pit stops around the city

In particular, we are looking for someone who would be able to take on coordinating food and beverages, which may include contacting food sponsors, and possibly mapping out where Pit Stops are in the city.

For more information, please contact Andraea Sartison at andraea....@biketoworkdaywinnipeg.org or 204-333-2666.

____________________________

March Monthly Meeting

Our March Monthly Meeting is on Tuesday March 13 at 5:30 PM at the Sport for Life Centre.

February Monthly Meeting minutes

____________________________

Webinars

The Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals webinars take place on the third Wednesday of each month from 2:00 to 3:00 PM CST at the Eco-Centre (3rd floor, MEC building -- 303 Portage Ave & Donald St).

Green Action Centre and Bike to the Future invite you to join us at a webinar. All webinars are listed at biketothefuture.org under Upcoming Events.

____________________________

City Cycling courses -- City of Winnipeg's Leisure Guide

Two City Cycling courses appear on page 82 of the City of Winnipeg's Spring 2012 Leisure Guide in the Active Living - Sport section.

City Cycling for Beginners

Do you want to ride your bike more often but just don’t feel safe? Do you want to teach your kids how to cycle safely? Can-Bike certified instructors from Bike to the Future will help you build both the knowledge and confidence to start riding on the streets and trails in Winnipeg. The course is endorsed by the Manitoba Cycling Association, and each participant will receive a copy of the 2012 Winnipeg Cycling Map.

When: Saturday May 5, noon to 4:00 PM
Where: Fort Rouge Leisure Centre, 625 Osborne Street
Fee: $43
Leisure Guide Course ID: 412613

City Cycling for Commuters

Would you like to start commuting but are uncomfortable on busier streets? Are you already commuting, but want to learn the cycling skills that will allow you to ride safely in heavier traffic? Certified Can-Bike instructors from Bike to the Future will help you build the skills and knowledge to ride confidently in traffic. The course is endorsed by the Manitoba Cycling Association, and each participant will receive a copy of the
2012 Winnipeg Cycling Map.

When: Saturday May 12, noon to 4:00 PM
Where: St James Civic Centre: 2055 Ness Ave
Fee: $43
Leisure Guide Course ID: 412612

Registration

BttF memberships / donations

Although we have changed our memberships from annual to lifetime (primarily to relieve an administrative burden), we encourage BttF members to consider making an annual donation to BttF by re-purchasing a membership.

BttF membership / donation info

Our website at biketothefuture.org is updated often.