Privacy settings

Tim Chevalier

Feb 8, 2011, 1:44:42 PM2/8/11
to Trans_Genderqueer_PNW
Hello,

I want to make sure that everybody who's subscribed to this new list
is aware of the privacy settings. Messages you post to this list are
visible to anyone on the Web (and can show up in Google searches).
Only people who are subscribed to this list can see who is a member of
this list. So if you only subscribe and never post, only people who
are also subscribed will know you're on the list.

This is on purpose. Other lists are configured so that only list
members can read previous messages. I believe this gives people a
false sense of security. I cannot do a background check on every
member to make sure that they're a trustworthy person. That means that
if the list was set up so that only members can read previous
messages, anyone who wanted to read your posts could just join the
list, and you would not have true privacy. I think it's better for
people to know from the beginning that their posts are visible rather
than find out after they've already said something that they wouldn't
have been willing to say in public.

I don't think this should inhibit anyone from posting, but some people
may want to create an email address that they only use for this list,
or for a certain category of lists. Since free email accounts are
widely available from Gmail or elsewhere, this should not be a
hardship.

Any questions/concerns, let me know.

Thanks for your interest,
Tim

Curtis Walker

Feb 8, 2011, 10:20:50 PM2/8/11
to trans_gend...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tim,

I may change which account is on this list just cause berrycrisp is a silly name I made up for being on googlegroups...  I let you know.  Is it true you  have to have a google account to join a google group.

Curtis

Tim Chevalier

Feb 10, 2011, 1:59:25 PM2/10/11
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Curtis Walker <berry...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Tim,
>
> I may change which account is on this list just cause berrycrisp is a silly
> name I made up for being on googlegroups...  I let you know.  Is it true
> you  have to have a google account to join a google group.
>
> Curtis

No, you don't have to have a Google account. You can use any email
address. Having a Google account might make it easier to post to the
mailing list from the Web (not by email), though.

If anybody feels like they need to unsubscribe and then re-subscribe
under a different email address, please feel free and include a note
in the comment box saying who you are.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Chevalier * http://cs.pdx.edu/~tjc/ * Often in error, never in doubt
"an intelligent person fights for lost causes,realizing that others