Tires

john williams

Apr 7, 2011, 7:11:36 PM4/7/11
to Trans-Iowa
Over the last year I have used Schwalbe marathon extremes for gravel
tires, and have had great luck. This would include DK and Gravel
Worlds finishes, plus 700+ miles of gravel riding. I even threw in a
few cross races for good measure. All of this without a flat. For some
reason I decieded to shed some weight and try out Huchinson Piranha
tubeless. I liked the preformance of the tires, lighter and quicker.
The problem is I have had 2 seperate punctures in the tread in 3
gravel rides. 1 sealed back up while the other required a tube late to
be patched, but either way I have lost the confidence in these tires,
and will most likely return to the schwalbes tubeless. I was wondering
what some of you guys thought about tires for TI or gravel riding in
general.

thanks
john

Brad Showalter

Apr 11, 2011, 8:37:48 AM4/11/11
to trans...@googlegroups.com
John,

I'm looking to run the Maxxis Crossmark (2.1") - it's made for a really good, fast rolling rear tire here in Va on both gravel and dirt.  Trading out the current WTB Weirwolf (aka, shock absorber) for another Crossmark up front for TI.

Full of nervous anticipation,
Brad

John Williams

Apr 11, 2011, 10:55:31 AM4/11/11
to trans...@googlegroups.com
Thanks brad,
I've added 2 more punctures to the list so that makes 4 punctures in 4 rides, in fairness 3 of those rides were 100+ miles and  the gravel here in Missouri is rough, but not that rough. I will also say the last 3 punctures sealed up as they should, but either way I would not endorse these tires for gravel.
Beware
john