SS Gear Recommendations?

1 view

Brad

Jan 3, 2011, 11:53:52 AM1/3/11
to Trans-Iowa
All,

Looking for any SS gearing recommendations from those with TI
experience or those with general experience in the likely TI portion
of Iowa.

I currently run a 34 x 20 on Virginia single track and am hoping to
find a workable TI ratio that lets me modify the chain ring rather
than the freewheel as it will be the cheaper route, I suspect.

Thanks in advance,
Brad

Bicycletorch

Jan 3, 2011, 3:19:27 PM1/3/11
to Trans-Iowa
On my Cross Check, running 29X1.95 Bontrager XR-1 tyres, with 170mm
crank arms I used a 42 X 22 setup. I spin a fairly fast RPM so I
could easily ride a steady 17mph pace without thinking much. This
allows me to climb hills rather nicely and still cruise along the
flats (I don't remember many of these). But I always bring a couple
of gearing options with me so I can change my mind based on weather
the night before. In drier conditions than last year, I may have
opted for a 42 X 21.

Keep in mind that I am not riding to race anyone besides myself. And
I have yet to finish a TI (3rd attempt this year) And I wouldn't have
a prayer keeping up with true racers for long. I plan on running the
same 42 X 22 gearing this year with a slightly narrower 29X1.8 tyre.
I know that deep into the ride, my knees will thank me for keeping the
strain off them. Again, a slow cadence for me is 80 RPM so that makes
a huge difference in gear ratios.

Good Luck!!

Brad

Jan 3, 2011, 3:52:00 PM1/3/11
to Trans-Iowa
Thanks for the feedback - also just caught Guitar's Ted equipment
recommendations on his website, I got internet lazy over the
holidays. :-)

-Brad