hydration

kdoggett

Nov 22, 2010, 11:05:29 PM11/22/10
to Trans-Iowa
Dan,

If you haven't already, you might consider using an Aquarack by
Profile Design to hold two water bottles behind the saddle
http://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=store.catalog&CategoryID=1&ProductID=5.
I saw Nathan S. using one on Dirty Kanza, so I called him up at Cycle
Works later and he put one together and shipped it to me in Oklahoma.
Combined with elastic loops to prevent bottle launching, it works
great. The aquarack on my 54 cm Surly Cross Check, still gives
plently of room for a medium Topeak aero wedge seat pack. The
tradeoff for additional liquid is some noticeable weight.

Depending on how much distance between water opportunities, I may just
use two 24 oz water bottles and a 70 oz camelbak. If there is a 100+
mile stretch with no water like there was supposed to be last year
(before race was called early due to rain), I will add the Aquarack.
The 70 oz camelback weighs right at 5lbs when full and I have ridden
Dirty Kanza twice that way. 5 lbs is all I care to have on my back.

Depending on weather and clothing requirements, I will probably use a
small Jandd handlebar bag; this did fine on a 25-hr ride to Nebraska
Keith C. and I did in May. Also likely will use a frame pack, either
one by Jandd or possibly a Tangle bag by Relevate Designs
http://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=store.catalog&CategoryID=1&ProductID=5.

I am also a rookie in Trans Iowa, so this will be a new experience for
me as well. Trying to put the weight on the bike keep off my back. I
will be throwing the dice to some degree: enough clothes for the
weather but not too many, tire boots instead of spare tire, but I will
carry basic tools, CO2, Topeak pump, fiberfix spoke, lights, extra
batteries, ...

Any advice from veterans will be appreciated.

Kevin

Mark B

Nov 23, 2010, 12:38:18 PM11/23/10
to Trans-Iowa
have you ever thought about putting you bladder in a Tangle bag? I
bought a Tangle bag just for that reason, I don't like anything on my
back. I did DK with 3 bottles on the bike and 2 bottles in my jersey
pockets. I tried training with a pack but found this to work better
for me. With the greater distance between refueling stops I will need
more water than 5 bottles so I thought I would try the Tangle bag.

On Nov 22, 10:05 pm, kdoggett <kleedogg...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Dan,
>
> If you haven't already, you might consider using an Aquarack by
> Profile Design to hold two water bottles behind the saddlehttp://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=store.catalog&Cat....
> I saw Nathan S. using one on Dirty Kanza, so I called him up at Cycle
> Works later and he put one together and shipped it to me in Oklahoma.
> Combined with elastic loops to prevent bottle launching, it works
> great.  The aquarack on my 54 cm Surly Cross Check, still gives
> plently of room for a medium Topeak aero wedge seat pack.  The
> tradeoff for additional liquid is some noticeable weight.
>
> Depending on how much distance between water opportunities, I may just
> use two 24 oz water bottles and a 70 oz camelbak.  If there is a 100+
> mile stretch with no water like there was supposed to be last year
> (before race was called early due to rain), I will add the Aquarack.
> The 70 oz camelback weighs right at 5lbs when full and I have ridden
> Dirty Kanza twice that way.  5 lbs is all I care to have on my back.
>
> Depending on weather and clothing requirements, I will probably use a
> small Jandd handlebar bag; this did fine on a 25-hr ride to Nebraska
> Keith C. and I did in May.  Also likely will use a frame pack, either
> one by Jandd or possibly a Tangle bag by Relevate Designshttp://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=store.catalog&Cat....

Dan Buettner

Nov 23, 2010, 1:46:00 PM11/23/10
to trans...@googlegroups.com
The Tangle bags look great, thanks for the info!  I may well pick up one of those and change my plan to use a rear rack with top-mounted bag.  Definite weight-saver.  A bladder in there could work, but my plan would be to store the calories in the bike bag and the fluids elsewhere.

I'm tending toward giving a Camelbak-type product a try as I start training (any day now, honest) ... I've never really used one, and trying it couldn't hurt, right??  REI has got quite a selection, with great discounts on the ugly colors ;)

I'm a person who needs lots of fluids so I'm not sure I can go overboard in this regard.

-Dan

kdoggett

Nov 23, 2010, 11:41:49 PM11/23/10
to Trans-Iowa

jacques_mpls

Nov 25, 2010, 8:20:35 AM11/25/10
to Trans-Iowa
I would love to hear from any "minimalists" out there for a little
perspective from the lite side. I am afraid I am going to have a seat
bag, a tangle bag, a handlebar bag, and a camelbak all loaded down. I
will have to train with a 20 lbs plate on my back.

-rook

On Nov 23, 10:41 pm, kdoggett <kleedogg...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> For what it's worth, more bagshttp://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=store.catalog&Cat...http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FFPhttp://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FSBZhttp://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FMBHP2
>
> Also my previous post had the wrong link for the Aquarack.  Here is
> the correct linkhttp://www.profile-design.com/profile-design/products/hydration/all-h...

PaulJacobson

Nov 26, 2010, 10:14:07 PM11/26/10
to Trans-Iowa

I have done versions two through five of TI and I have learned a few
things about packing for such a long ride. I am still very much a
novice but hear are a few things that worked for me. Use as small
amount of gear possible given the conditions. During version two I
packed so much crap out of anxiety that I weighed myself down so much
I was out the back of the pack in the first 100 yards. By version five
I had things dialed in pretty well. From the start look at how far you
will have to go to the first check point and just take enough fluids
to get there. Then fill up with enough fluids for seventy or so miles
and get going. A mistake would be to fill up, especially during the
day, for 100 to 125 miles, unless you are wanting to win the race try
not to weigh yourself down as you will likely need to keep pushing to
make the cut offs unless the weather is ideal. Try to view the race in
segments. Let's say 50-75 miles. If you have to stop at a farm to get
fluid it certainly is not the end of the world.
I use a Camelbak called a Lobo. There has only been one TI where it
was actually warm so having tons of fluids is not necessary. When I
finished TI V5 I filled up with 148 ounces (100 ounce bladder and two
bottles) at 8:00 pm and rode roughly 125 miles and 11 to 12 hours on
that. So my point is, bring the capacity to carry at least 100 ounces
but only fill up with as much water to make it to the nearest town
that is 50-75 miles away. Of course, knowing GT there won't be a town
for 100 miles!!!! :)

My best advice, is to ride twenty five miles and then do it again
until you are done.