gene_trans_map

Ryan

Sep 12, 2018, 2:31:52 AM9/12/18
to Trans-ABySS
Hi,

Is there some sort of function that can generate the equivalent of a trinity gene_trans_map from trans-abyss transcriptome assemblies?

Thanks!

Ka Ming Nip

Sep 12, 2018, 3:23:02 AM9/12/18
to trans...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I presume you are trying to get the counts.

If you run RSEM directly, then you can use the option `--transcript-to-gene-map <file>` for its script `rsem-prepare-reference` as explained here:

http://deweylab.biostat.wisc.edu/rsem/rsem-prepare-reference.html

Hope that helps!

Ka Ming

--
Ka Ming Nip
Graduate Student | Dr. Inanc Birol Lab

Is there some sort of function that can generate the equivalent of a trinity gene_trans_map from trans-abyss transcriptome assemblies?

Thanks!

Ryan

Sep 13, 2018, 2:31:33 AM9/13/18
to Trans-ABySS
Thanks for your help, Ka Ming.

I'm not sure that this does exactly what I want. I have a non-model organism and lack a quality genome with known gene coordinates. It seems that the --transcript-to-gene-map <file> option assumes that I already have a transcript to gene map, but what I'd like to do is generate that file. Or am I misunderstanding something?

Best,
Ryan

Ka Ming Nip

Sep 13, 2018, 12:25:22 PM9/13/18
to trans...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ryan,

I don't think you misunderstood anything here. :)

Do you have the genomic sequencing reads of your organism?

You can generate a spliced graph using a transcriptome assembly and the corresponding genomic reads using our tool called ChopStitch:

https://github.com/bcgsc/ChopStitch

Once you have the splice graph, you can treat each subgraph as a "gene".

Hope that helps!

Ka Ming

Sent: September 12, 2018 11:31 PM
To: Trans-ABySS