ERROR: CMD ended with status code 2 and no *contigs.fa output

Emily Stander

Mar 8, 2018, 1:52:57 AM3/8/18
to Trans-ABySS
Hi,

I am running transabyss on my RNAseq data with transabyss 1.5.5 and abyss 1.5.2. I only get the following fasta files as output:

*-1.fa
*-3.fa
*.fa
*.r1.filtered.fa

Apparently the final assembly is in a contigs.fa file which was not generated in my case.

As part of the printed output I also get the error:
ERROR: CMD ended with status code 2

Could this have something to do with the missing contigs.fa file indicating an incomplete run?

Thanks in advance,
Emily

Ka Ming Nip

Mar 8, 2018, 12:20:40 PM3/8/18
to trans...@googlegroups.com
Hi Emily,

An error in Trans-ABySS will always result in an incomplete run.
The final assembly is actually `*-final.fa` and you would also see an empty stamp file `*.FINAL.COMPLETE`.

Can you please send me the entire log of the run?
Were you able to assemble our sample dataset?

Ka Ming

--
Ka Ming Nip
Graduate Student | Dr. Inanc Birol Lab (BTL)
Mar 12, 2018, 6:30:06 AM3/12/18
to trans...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ka Ming,

I have run the software on the test data which completed and gave me the `*-final.fa` and `*.FINAL.COMPLETE` folder.
So I think its something to do with the format of my fastq file. I am running the assembly on the raw Illumina reads with the files from the service provider and with reads that have been trimmed which all give me a similar output (please find attached the complete output file). I am not too sure how to go further or whether I should convert to fasta file format. Your advice would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Emily

Regards,

Emily Stander (M.Sc)
Ph.D. candidate
South African National Bioinformatics Institute
University of the Western Cape
South Africa

abyss_k25.sh.o7518096

Ka Ming Nip

Mar 12, 2018, 7:19:12 PM3/12/18
to trans...@googlegroups.com
Hi Emily,

There are several things to check for your read files:

1. Make sure the read names in `*_1.fq` have the `/1` suffix and the read names in `*_2.fq` have the `/2` suffix.

2. `*_1.fq` and `*_2.fq` must have the same number of lines and the number of lines in the files are divisible by 4 (for FASTQ format).

Ka Ming

Emily Stander