mpi error abyss-pe

Vinay Mittal

Mar 22, 2017, 12:26:10 AM3/22/17
to Trans-ABySS

Hi,
I am sure this must have been covered earlier but I am having hard time finding it.
I am assembling paired-end RNA-Seq data. Running abyss-pe as follows:

~/downloads/abyss-1.3.4/bin/abyss-pe E=0 n=4 q=10 v=-v k=64 j=12 name=my_lib_name -C my_out_dirr in="<fq1> <fq2>" OVERLAP_OPTIONS='--no-scaffold' SIMPLEGRAPH_OPTIONS='--no-scaffold' MERGEPATHS_OPTIONS='--greedy' mp=''

Running this gives me following error:

which: no mpirun in (<system PATH>)

/bin/bash: mpirun: command not found
make: *** [<my lib>-1.fa] Error 127

I am sure I configured abyss without mpi but it's still looking for MPI. Not sure how to proceed.

Thanks.

Ben Vandervalk

Mar 22, 2017, 12:24:23 PM3/22/17
to trans...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vinay,

Try adding `np=1` to your `abyss-pe` arguments.  That should force it to run the non-MPI version.

- Ben

Vinay Mittal

Mar 23, 2017, 1:30:41 AM3/23/17
to Trans-ABySS
Hi Ben,
Thanks for the prompt response. I am still getting the same error. Interestingly, it only fails (exits with error) when I submit it as a job using PBS. But it runs fine (after giving the mpirun error) if I run abyss-pe directly on terminal (without using PBS). Any idea what might be going on?

Thanks.

Ka Ming Nip

Mar 23, 2017, 2:01:41 PM3/23/17
to trans...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vinay,

abyss-pe would attempt to run the assembly with mpirun when one of the follow environment variables is defined:

NSLOTS
LSB_DJOB_NUMPROC
SLURM_NTASKS

You can unset them before running abyss-pe, eg.

unset NSLOTS
abyss-pe E=0 n=4 q=10 v=-v k=64 j=12 name=my_lib_name ...

Hope that helps!

Ka Ming

--
Ka Ming Nip
Graduate Student | Dr. Inanc Birol Lab (BTL)

Vinay Mittal

Mar 24, 2017, 11:05:08 AM3/24/17
to Trans-ABySS
Thanks Ka Ming.
This is really helpful.
Interestingly our servers got updated a while ago and they moved all the packages to a new location. Adjusting the path variable and re-installing openmpi helped and I was able to run it properly.