Contribution

Tarcio Saraiva

Feb 20, 2012, 3:16:58 AM2/20/12
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
Hi there
first of all, thank you for approving my request to join the group.

I would like to contribute to the app. I have an idea of a notification system that might be useful. I use Tram Hunter every day and think it's great - actually better than the official one for iPhone.
However, this morning on my way to work, I knew I would miss the tram I usually take and decided to take the next one instead. I somewhat mismanaged my time and missed the next tram, only to catch the one after.

What occurred to me is that would be great if you "scheduled" a tram you want to catch and the app notifies you based on the time you specify.

Say you look through the list and you tell the app: notify me when the next route 16 tram is 5 minutes due. And then the app simply triggers a warning sound (which I thought could be the tram hammering sound).
The 5 minutes is clearly something customisable: the user would set it according to their own needs.

I'm happy to modify the write code given your approval. I have no issues with the Android platform - at least not that I know! :-)

That's my pitch! Hope you find it useful!

Take care

Andy Botting

Feb 20, 2012, 3:48:43 AM2/20/12
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tarcio,

I think this sounds like a great feature. I'm living in London
currently, and I also have an app for the London Underground network
(which I'm using daily now), and I've been thinking about a similar
feature for that.

My initial thought it that you could get the next arriving trams list
at a stop, then by long-pressing the arriving tram, have a pop-up
dialog to prompt for how many minutes until the alert. The only
problem with this might be that the app doesn't show you trams coming
far enough into the future.

Have you looked through the Tram Hunter code? Are you familiar with Android?

cheers,

Andy

Tarcio T Saraiva

Feb 20, 2012, 3:54:43 AM2/20/12
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andy
thank you for your reply.

I think the idea of long press is great! Not sure if we really need to go too much into the future.. sometimes the next tram will do, at least that's what I was aiming for.

I'm familiar with Android, yes. Actually, I have been using your app as a reference for both studies and apps I have developed in the last few months and am currently fine tuning before releasing to the market. So, no troubles here from my end.

Anyway, so I can develop the future. I got the latest code but it's read only, so can't commit any changes.

Any plans to move to Github?
--
Tarcio T Saraiva
[m] 0413 992 587

Andy Botting

Feb 20, 2012, 4:17:13 AM2/20/12
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

> Any plans to move to Github?

I was considering it. I've moved some of my other projects there
already, so I guess I was just waiting for a good reason for move this
one.

Leave it with me a couple of days, and I'll get back to you.

cheers,

Andy

Andrew

Feb 20, 2012, 4:54:37 AM2/20/12
to tramh...@googlegroups.com

Just a note of appreciation. Tram Hunter is great and I wouldn't be without it now. In a geeky sort of manner it might to nice to know the tram numbers too, and a link to a timetable for that route, but really, I am quite happy with it how it is.

Andrew.

Andy Botting

Feb 20, 2012, 5:00:48 AM2/20/12
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
Hey Andrew,

> Just a note of appreciation. Tram Hunter is great and I wouldn't be without
> it now. In a geeky sort of manner it might to nice to know the tram numbers
> too, and a link to a timetable for that route, but really, I am quite happy
> with it how it is.

Thanks! I never expected Tram Hunter to become so popular and so well received.

I'm pretty busy with other projects right now, but I been thinking
about being able to click an approaching tram from the list, and being
able to see its progress along the line (along with the vehicle
number). I think the iPhone app does something similar to this, so
it's on the list.

cheers,

Andy

James Barker

Feb 20, 2012, 4:38:22 PM2/20/12
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
I look forward in seeing these features. I've been off the project
for some time. I should contribute more to it. I could add some more
quotes ;) Let me know if you need any help with it.

James.

Tarcio T Saraiva

Feb 21, 2012, 3:46:50 AM2/21/12
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
Hehe nice, that's a motivation :-)

I'm 90% done BTW. Implemented the long click and setting the notification is a breeze.

I will check the UX now, see how I can improve it.

Would you think a history of notifications is worthwhile? I guess if you take the same tram at the same time every day, you could sort of save it... I might look into it later.

Cheers

Luke Kellett

Feb 21, 2012, 7:38:10 PM2/21/12
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
This sounds like a sweet feature guys! I look forward to seeing it.

Tarcio T Saraiva

Feb 22, 2012, 6:07:27 AM2/22/12
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks
so I have implemented the feature. It's very simple and it works the way I envisaged.

As for the technicalities, I'm using Alarm Manager. The motivation behind it is that we might, in the future, offer the user the possibility to schedule a notification to run 1) only once;  2) every week day; 3) every weekend or 4) every day.

I didn't do it now because I didn't have enough time to think about the implementation details. To be honest, I'm keen to take on this task in the future.

Anyway, if you want the APK to check the feature, drop me a line. All you have to do is go to a stop and long click a route.
Not sure if I should attach some screenshots to this message, so I didn't. Let me know if it's ok.

The notification vibrates and triggers a sound. The only thing I don't like is the sound - which is the phones's default. I really would like to get my hand on a tram gong sound but couldn't find anything on the internet.

That's it for me!

Cheers

On 22 February 2012 11:38, Luke Kellett <necr...@gmail.com> wrote:
This sounds like a sweet feature guys! I look forward to seeing it.

Andy Botting

Feb 22, 2012, 6:38:48 AM2/22/12
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
Hey Tarcio,

Can you send me your APK? I'd love to try it while I'm getting the
stuff into github. I can put it on the Google Code site for now if
other people want to try it out. Screenshots should be fine to send to
the list.

You know that sound the trams make when they turn a corner? That
really annoying squealing sound? I think that would be funny to use
that. A tram ding sound would be probably be more appropriate though
:)

cheers,

Andy

Tarcio T Saraiva

Feb 22, 2012, 6:49:35 AM2/22/12
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
Sure, no worries. It's on your inbox :-)

Attached you will find the screenshots.

Cheers
SC20120222-220045.jpeg
SC20120222-220052.jpeg
SC20120222-220111.jpeg
SC20120222-220116.jpeg

Luke Kellett

Feb 22, 2012, 10:03:25 PM2/22/12
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
That last pic is gold!

Tarcio T Saraiva

Feb 22, 2012, 10:37:45 PM2/22/12
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
Just a little bit of humour ;-) Gives a nice touch, though.

logger

Feb 28, 2012, 9:38:15 AM2/28/12
to tramhunter
Hi Andy and Garcia
Lurking back here with interest. Did you get to post an APK of the
approaching tram warning mods yet. Would be a bit of fun to play with.
Might have prevented me having to chase tram along Glennferrie rd this
morning trying to get my daughter to school.
cheers Ted.

Andy Botting

Feb 28, 2012, 11:46:01 AM2/28/12
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ted,

I'll make a build shortly and make it available. I've some other
interesting bits coming up including a network map that doesn't crash,
and a Yarra Trams twitter feed on the home screen.

cheers,

Andy

logger

Feb 28, 2012, 3:00:21 PM2/28/12
to tramhunter

Sounds great Andy and sorry for the typo in you name Tarcio. Keyboard
auto correct got me and changed it to Garcia.

Tarcio T Saraiva

Feb 28, 2012, 3:13:35 PM2/28/12
to tramh...@googlegroups.com

Haha that's cool man. I was wondering who Garcia was anyway.. Cheers boys