Tram Hunter v0.7 test 4

Andy Botting

Dec 12, 2010, 4:44:18 PM12/12/10
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I went a bit crazy of the last few days, and changed a heap of
internal stuff in TramHunter.

Probably the biggest part was changing the storage of all
non-route/stop information like Favourite stops, Generated Client-ID
(provided from Yarra Trams), etc. They're now stored as user
preferences, rather than in the SQL database. This will make keeping
user data between versions a whole lot easier in the future.

There's also a few minor UI fixes, including:

- The search button now working in all screens, not just the home.
- No more spinner dialog windows - mainly because the block the whole
window from input while they're open. You now get a nice 'Loading...'
spinner in the middle of the page, but it still gives you the ability
to 'back out' while it's going.
- Map now have a really nice pop-up info window. Unfortunately, no
different colour pins for direction yet though.
- Icons for all screen types. E.g. high-res screens now get crisp,
high-res icons - same with medium and low.
- Works properly on Android 1.5 again. (Thanks to Cyanogenmod 4 on my
trusty G1!)

http://code.google.com/p/tramhunter/downloads/detail?name=TramHunter-0.7.0-test4.apk

I've had a test of most of the stuff I can think of, but this needs a
bit of real-world test. If you guys want to kick the tyres, that would
be great.

One last thing, Greg mentioned removing the 'Search by Stop ID'
activity, as it's a little redundant now that we can just use the
search, and put in a TramTracker ID. Greg suggested replacing it with
a 'Nearby Stops Map' instead. I'm not quite sure, but would love your
feedback.

Cheers,

Andy

logger

Dec 12, 2010, 5:02:54 PM12/12/10
to tramhunter
Andy thanks for the update will check it out.
I actually find the 'Search by Stop ID' feature quite useful. When
you are driving along a tram route in your car you car read the stop
ID from the tram stop sign when you go past. It is the only number
that is clearly visible from the road if I recall correctly. I can
then add/subtract a couple of number to it to project when a tram will
be at a stop up or down route. This is useful when delivering school
kids to a tram stop or seeing if a tram is going to be interfering
with traffic at a busy area such as Glenfferrie road.

I suppose eventually you can see if people want it by way of useage
stats and remove it if and when it appears unused.
my 2 cents. Cheers Ted.

Andy Botting

Dec 14, 2010, 6:08:27 AM12/14/10
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ted,

The only reason I'm thinking of dropping the 'Search by Stop ID' menu
item is because the functionality is now incorporated into the 'Stop
Search' function.

Would the standard 'search' thing work for you the same way?

cheers,

Andy

logger

Dec 14, 2010, 4:59:05 PM12/14/10
to tramhunter
Ah yes it would work fine. Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you were
suggesting to remove the ability to search for stop IDs altogether in
the belief that no one uses them. I also was confused and thought Tram
Tracker IDs and Stop IDs where different and you were proposing to
remove the latter. But they are the same aren't they. So disregard.
As long as one can search for stop ID somewhere in the system all
good.

thanks Ted.

James Barker

Dec 14, 2010, 8:40:53 PM12/14/10
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
I've just uploaded the latest code.

will start using it tonight.

Andy Botting

Dec 15, 2010, 6:58:17 AM12/15/10
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ted,

> Ah yes it would work fine. Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you were
> suggesting to remove the ability to search for stop IDs altogether in
> the belief that no one uses them. I also was confused and thought Tram
> Tracker IDs and Stop IDs where different and you were proposing to
> remove the latter. But they are the same aren't they.   So disregard.
> As long as one can search for stop ID somewhere in the system all
> good.

Stop ID and Tram Tracker ID are the same thing.

I thought that Stop ID might be a nicer generic name for TramTracker
ID, but on the other hand, Yarra Trams do put some emphasis on the
name 'TramTracker ID'. I guess it won't matter if we remove that
activity and just use the standard search.

I wonder if people might get confused if we remove it?

cheers

Andy Botting

Dec 15, 2010, 7:20:46 AM12/15/10
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
Hey Edgar!

I'm also CC'ing the list on this. Hope thats ok :)

> I was pleasantly surprised when I loaded it up and it's in colours.

I think the new UI looks much, much better. It's also good, because I
think I have been able to retain the simplicity of the app at the same
time.

> Would we be able to have the tram icons in colours as well?

Tram icons are something I just hacked up quickly, based on some work
by Matt. They're just black, basically because it was way easier to do
them that way :)

I noticed the other day, Robert Amos who is developing Tram Tracker,
posted a tram icon on Twitter which I'm presuming he must have been
working on.

http://yfrog.com/mgcj6p

I think it looks quite good, so if someone with some graphics skills
can make some news ones, then I'd be more than happy to include them.

Matt Byrne

Dec 15, 2010, 7:00:28 PM12/15/10
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
Yea the icons I came up with a while back were a placeholder and more to just show the difference between the shapes. This was because I found it very useful in the iPhone app to know when a double-carriage tram was coming as opposed to a single-carriage tram in peak time (more chance of a seat and less chance of sniffing tall people's armpits).

If you want a quick effect before we get nicer icons you could change the bumblebee tram icon to be yellow so it stands out!

Cheers,

Matt