Tram Locations on Map

Stephen F

Jan 13, 2011, 12:22:45 AM1/13/11
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
All,

Congrats on getting TramHunter where it is today. It is in my top 5 most frequently used apps.

Just out of interest, does the TramTracker source data provide any GPS data in relation to tram locations?

It would be quite something if TramHunter were able to display this.

If no GPS data is available ... here comes the challenge ... how difficult would it be to interpolate the position of a tram on a map based on its arrival time at its next stop?

Cheers,
Stephen

Andy Botting

Jan 13, 2011, 4:17:52 AM1/13/11
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephen,

Tram Hunter has a database of tram stop locations, which were sourced
from the TramTracker API. The API does have a method to return the
location of a tram, but I think it's only which stop its about to
approach.

If you wanted to plot this sort of information on a map, you'd
probably have to make some pretty crude estimates of times.

Is this the sort of thing you're talking about?
http://andybotting.com/~andy/pub/tram/ (Select route 57, and hit 'Go')

Stephen F

Jan 13, 2011, 4:26:02 AM1/13/11
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
>Is this the sort of thing you're talking about?
>http://andybotting.com/~andy/pub/tram/ (Select route 57, and hit 'Go')

That is exactly what I am talking about, and that is amazing!

How are you plotting the tram locations?
How accurate are the locations?

Cheers,
Stephen
--
Cheers,
Stephen Farquhar

My calendar:
http://www.google.com/calendar/b/0/embed?src=stephen....@gmail.com&ctz=Australia/Sydney
- Click on "Week" in the upper right hand side for a better view.

Andy Botting

Jan 13, 2011, 4:38:47 AM1/13/11
to tramh...@googlegroups.com
> That is exactly what I am talking about, and that is amazing!
>
> How are you plotting the tram locations?
> How accurate are the locations?

That was made quite some time ago with a friend of mine. Before the
TramTracker API existed, we parsed one of the metlink timetables as
the source data (so it's nothing like real-time), and then used a
fairly crude estimate to make the trams move. It's totally unrealistic
compared to the speed that trams would normally move.

It's all done in javascript, and I can send you the source if you want
to play with it. I don't think it would be that hard to hook it up to
the API, but it may take a few calls to the API to built up the list
of trams on a line.

I found this the other day, which is probably more like what you want to do:
http://traintimes.org.uk/map/tube/

cheers,

Andy

Stephen F

Jan 13, 2011, 11:55:40 PM1/13/11
to tramhunter
Hi Andy,

Yes, something like the map you have, combined with the London one, is
what I would imagine.

Unfortunately I am not a programmer so I wouldn't know what to do with
the source code if you sent it to me :-)

Cheers,
Stephen