Data over Voice over Cell

Justin Henck

Jun 10, 2019, 6:03:49 PM6/10/19
to Network Traffic Obfuscation
Hi all,
I saw this paper on old-school data-over-audio done on a cell network.  Has anyone tried or found an implementation of such a thing? I would hypothesize that the compression done by the cell network would be harmful to traditional modem encodings.

Justin Henck
Product Manager
google.com/jigsaw

PGP: EA8E 8C27 2D75 974D B357 482B 1039 9F2D 869A 117B

Brandon Wiley

Jun 11, 2019, 3:29:38 AM6/11/19
to Justin Henck, Network Traffic Obfuscation
Yes, Katarina Kohls told me about a project she worked on to encode information flows in the voice data inside of Skype conversations. So this has definitely been done with modern voice compression in the mix.

Compression does indeed reduce available bandwidth. However, the integrity of the data can be preserved by transforming the data before compression. You could derive an optimal encoding from the specific compression scheme used, but you could also use a generic method such as forward error correction.

Paul Vines

Jun 11, 2019, 2:26:22 PM6/11/19
to Brandon Wiley, Justin Henck, Network Traffic Obfuscation
A friend of mine used techniques from this paper: https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1860010

He was using it for transmiting bitcoin transactions, but it seems like it should apply to arbitrary data. I will caution that he had a lot of trouble getting their things to work and couldn't replicate their reported bandwidth, but it's a starting point.

Thanks,