TFT Webinars: Irene Martinez -- June 4th @ 11am EST

Rafegh Aghamohammadi

Jun 1, 2020, 1:10:09 PM6/1/20
to Traffic flow webinars

Dear colleagues, it is our honor to announce:

Optimal Location Problem for Variable Speed Limit Application Areas

Speaker: Irene Martinez, PhD Candidate, UC, Irvine

Date & Time: Thursday, June 4th, 11:00 AM EST

Link: https://gatech.bluejeans.com/2831735251     NOTE: You don't need to install the bluejeans app, just click join with browser.

Abstract:

Some studies consider variable speed limit (VSL) control as a viable option to prevent traffic breakdown at bottlenecks by limiting the mainline flow with reduced speed limits. However, few studies consider the location of the application area as a design variable of the problem. In this talk, we will explain why the location of a VSL control area is crucial to prevent the capacity drop phenomenon at lane drop bottlenecks. We first define two types of stationary states, congested and uncongested, inside a lane drop bottleneck assuming the Lighthill-Whitham Richards model with bounded acceleration. The characteristics of these stationary states and their admissible conditions will be discussed. If the speed limit imposed is low enough, the location of the VSL application area is irrelevant to ensure an uncongested stationary state inside the bottleneck. However, for a given range of speed limits, the location of the VSL application area should be designed carefully to allow for uncongested stationary states and prevent the occurrence of the capacity drop. We formulate an optimization problem and show that, contrary to the general belief, the larger the speed limit, the farther the VSL application area should be from the bottleneck. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first study to analytically identify, formulate, and solve the optimal location problem for variable speed limit application areas. It makes fundamental contributions to both traffic flow theory (by analyzing the stationary states for VSL-controlled bottlenecks) and traffic control (by determining the optimal location of a VSL application area). Moreover, the results presented are of practical relevance because they can help to establish some guidelines for practitioners to implement VSL control strategies.

Short Bio:

Irene Martinez (BSc and MSc Civil Engineering, UPC BarcelonaTech, MSc Transportation Systems Engineering, University of California, Irvine 2019) is a PhD Candidate at the University of California, Irvine working under the supervision of Prof. Wenlong Jin. She is interested in traffic flow modeling and the mitigation of traffic congestion in the era of autonomous, connected, and shared mobility. Her research work has been published in Transportation Research Part B and Part C journals, and she has presented at the International Symposium on Transportation and Traffic Theory 2019, several Transportation Research Board Annual Meetings and other conferences. Irene has received, among other awards, the "Abertis International Prize for Transportation Research in 2014" and the "Young Researchers TRA VISIONS 2018 Second place award" and several fellowships during her studies.

Rafegh Aghamohammadi

Jun 3, 2020, 11:20:44 AM6/3/20
to Traffic flow webinars
Friendly reminder for the webinar tomorrow 11:00 AM EST. Thank you for spreading the word.

Rafegh Aghamohammadi

Jun 4, 2020, 9:35:48 AM6/4/20
to Traffic flow webinars
Reminder reminder, TFT Webinar, Today 11:00 EST

Jorge

Jun 9, 2020, 3:28:46 PM6/9/20
to Traffic flow webinars