TFT Webinars: Lewis Lehe -- Apr 23rd @ 11am EST

Jorge

Apr 16, 2020, 1:03:16 PM4/16/20
to Traffic flow webinars
Dear colleagues,

After a long pause it is my pleasure to announce that we are back the webinar series of the  Transportation Research Board Committee on Traffic Flow Theory and Characteristics (AHB45).

Our first speaker will be Lewis Lehe

Date: Thursday Apr 23rd @ 11am EST

Hypodemand: a static traffic model with a backward-bending demand curve

Static models of traffic economics generally feature a downward-sloping “flow-demanded” curve: the lower the travel time, the more people want to drive. This talk will show that pooled ridehailing services---such as UberPool---can lead to “backward-bending” flow-demanded curves for downtown traffic, whereby the demanded vehicle flow falls as travel times fall. Consequently, urban zones can exhibit multiple, stable traffic equilibria and hysteresis even in so-called “light traffic,” and temporarily enacting a toll can permanently improve traffic.

Bio:

Since 2018, Lewis Lehe has been an assistant professor in the transportation systems group of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. His research focuses on the economics and theory of downtown traffic. He received his PhD in Civil Engineering under Carlos Daganzo at UC Berkeley in 2016.

Jorge

Apr 22, 2020, 11:48:51 AM4/22/20
to Traffic flow webinars
Friendly reminder for tomorrow: