Okavango opens to oil prospection? Anybody knows better?

zava

May 23, 2024, 3:05:51 AMMay 23
to Tracks4Africa
Hello everybody,
I am receiving solicitation to adhere to a campaign aimed to resist concessions of oil prospections in the Okavango delta.
The recipient of the concession appears to be canadian oli company ReconAfrica.
Opponent is Kapinga Kamwalye Community Conservancy
Is anyone better aware
1) if this is a real menace
2) If such appeal to resist (via Avaaz) may be a genuine and sustainable initiative?

Thank you to anybody better informed than me!

Greetings,
Luca

Lizette Swart

May 23, 2024, 3:44:04 AMMay 23
to tracks...@googlegroups.com
Hallo Luca,

This is not a recent event - the prospective oil drillers seem to have run into some objections and legal actions from various organisations. If you search for "oil okavango delta" you will get several articles on this, many from last year - but there was also big media splashes about this in 2021 so it goes back at least that far and I remember that even then it was not a new event.

Regards/Groete

To STOP getting T4A Mail, make sure that you are sending mail from the SAME ADDRESS that you used when you joined the T4A list and then click on this link:
mailto:tracks4afric...@googlegroups.com
If that does NOT work, then please try mailto:mode...@tracks4africa.co.za

---

Hannes Kritzinger

May 23, 2024, 8:13:59 AMMay 23
to tracks...@googlegroups.com

Hi Luca,

There is, as always, more than one side to this issue, but I have little doubt that if oilfields are developed in this region that it will have a negative impact on the environment.

Avaaz is a reputable organisation. They support/fight for "good" causes across the world and have had significant successes in the past. In my view therefore a good organisation through which to channel your support for causes you believe in.

Regards,

Hannes

Frank höppener

May 25, 2024, 6:48:10 AMMay 25
to tracks...@googlegroups.com
The amazing and shocking reality seems that oil companies prove to be incompetent or not interested in drilling for oil WITHOUT buggering up an entire ecosystem.
Don't we have politics for exactly thát problem?

Frank

Op do 23 mei 2024 om 09:44 schreef Lizette Swart <liz...@tracks4africa.co.za>:

--

Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei.
Allahu Akbar is the Heil Hitler of the 21st Century. (Bart Nijman.)

zava

May 26, 2024, 2:51:30 AMMay 26
to Frank höppener, tracks...@googlegroups.com
Oil companies sure are incompetent AND unwilling to stand the cost of environmental respect.
But I am afraid there is no way to install these huge industrial installations in fragile environments without making a mess...
Just the infrastructures are overwhelming. I saw it in (apparently) more robust environments, such as Algerian desert, which is crisscrossed by a network of roads, piste and pipes just to connect the oil Wells... with smoke plumes 200 long flowing the wind...
Imagine this in Okavango?...