Re: Trackbot IR sensor problems

Bruce Boyes

Mar 18, 2011, 12:47:44 PM3/18/11
to Roman Vasjoho, trac...@googlegroups.com
Quoting Roman Vasjoho <roma...@gmail.com>:

> Hi, Bruce!
>
> I have run upon a problem you have described in your post in Google Groups:
> http://groups.google.com/group/trackbot/msg/0cf4642c1af53576
>
> Port and Starboard sensors are working just perfectly but I am unable to use
> front and aft sensors on my Trackbot. Is there any resolution to this
> problem in addition to removing and placing back the P6 jumper as it did not
> work for me.

Run one of the demo test programs - either the PC interface or SunSPOT
in sensor monitor mode, in SVN at Java.net. All those sensors were
tested here before shipping so I am confident they are working.

The only issue we are aware of is if there is a narrow obstacle right
in the middle of the front sensors, and very close (like a pencil
stuck in the ground), sometimes it can be missed because there is a
small blind spot within 50 mm or so or closer, right in front of the
robot. But unless you have such small/narrow objects this is not a
problem (walls, chair legs, etc are detected). Also you can use the
accelerometer in the Sun SPOT to detect when the robot hits a bump
such as in the small centered blind spot. The Swarm of Brian code does
this.

So I am confident if the front or rear sensors are not working at all,
it is a software problem. Review the TrackBot technical reference for
the API - download it in the store for free if you have not already.

Run the Swarm of Brian code as a test. We did that before shipping and
everything was fine.

We have never seen a failure of even one forward sensor in the field.
If the emitter or receiver is physically torn off, then it is
possible, but that takes some major impact with a low obstacle, or
dropping the whole trackbot onto a hard floor.

How are you using the Arduino? As an alternative brain to SunSPOT?

I hope that helps -- go back to the known good Swarm of Brian code for a test.

best regards
Bruce