Why is there two installers?

Karl

Jun 7, 2012, 4:34:09 PM6/7/12
to Trac Explorer
I've been poking around in the source of TracExplorer for a few days
and I can't figure out why there are two installers for this project.
Even though they are marked as x86 and x64 they seem to copy the same
files and the assemblies are built for "Any CPU" (even the TortoiseSVN-
interop assembly, which was my first guess, seems to be architecture
independent). Would anyone care to explain the reason behind this to
me?

/ Karl

Sven Rütz

Jun 11, 2012, 3:59:08 AM6/11/12
to tracex...@googlegroups.com
Hello Karl,

I don't know exactly if I answer this correct (as I did not create this
setup) but I think the 64bit setup is important for a 64bit TortoiseSVN
installation to work with. But I may be wrong. You could test if you install
TSVN 64bit and TracExplorer 32bit on a 64bit system and see if the "View
Tickets" Button is available in the TSVN commit dialog.

But as I said, I really don't know. Maybe we should built the assemblies
with the special platforms as target or we should merge the setup to one
single installation.

Has anybody on this list a bit more knowledge?

Ciao,

Sven

Jun 12, 2012, 3:00:02 PM6/12/12
to Trac Explorer
I thought that it was the TortoiseSVN part that required two
installers as well but apart from writing to the correct parts of the
registry (a 32-bit installer will want to write under the WOW32-node
but this can be circumvented) this doesn't seem to be a problem
(probably since an Any CPU-build will be jitted to the correct
architecture anyway). In my own build of TracExplorer I'm using a
single NSIS-installer that just checks if we are on a x64 or x86
system and writes to the correct place in the registry based on that
and it seems to be working just fine.

/ Karl

Sven Rütz

Jun 13, 2012, 5:43:55 AM6/13/12
to tracex...@googlegroups.com
Ok, or the registry is the reason :) I don't know why the setup is
structured like this; maybe we change this in the future.

The system check is possible in WiX too I think. This could be an option for
a single-setup.

Ciao,

Sven