the basics?

km

Jul 13, 2011, 2:53:23 PM7/13/11
to Trac Explorer
i am just starting out with SVN and have a live server (hosted) and
dev server (hosted elsewhere)

i am trying to decide what to use on a dev server for

a. version control and tracking
b. "committing" and then sending to live server (via ftp or SSH???)

i got an account at a new host for my dev server and they said for SVN
most of the clients just use SVN and Trac.

This was after I told them I had been counseled to get a beanstalk
account (they said i do not need one)

I have used tortoise on Windows 7 locally and I thought it was pretty
easy to use but don't know if it could be installed on the server or
if Trac and/or Trac with Trac Explorer is just as good.

questions:

is tortoise + Trac with Trac Explorer doable (locally im on windows 7
64 bit but i would be accessing hosted servers)

what are you using for

a. version control and tracking
b. "committing" and then sending to live server (via ftp or SSH)

when using all remote servers?

RjOllos

Jul 14, 2011, 3:31:09 AM7/14/11
to Trac Explorer

On Jul 13, 11:53 am, km <kagime...@gmail.com> wrote:
> is tortoise + Trac with Trac Explorer doable (locally im on windows 7
> 64 bit but i would be accessing hosted servers)
>
> what are you using for
>
> a. version control and tracking
> b. "committing" and then sending to live server (via ftp or SSH)
>
> when using all remote servers?

I'm using SVN and Trac and happy with both of them. I use TracExplorer
with TortoiseSVN on the client. I don't utilize TracExplorer all that
often, but it can sometimes be helpful.

You'll need the XmlRpc plugin for Trac if you want to connect
TracExplorer on a client to your Trac instance on the server. It is
usually best to also use SVN over HTTP/HTTPS, rather than SVN + SSH.

http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/XmlRpcPlugin