Trac maintenance

Jean Vittor

Dec 7, 2021, 4:54:15 AM12/7/21
to Trac Users
Hi,

I'm trying to put some Trac plugins together to get myself a tool
satisfying my project management needs for the couple of coming years.

I feel like I'm not far from this goal but I'm still stepping against
the time and resource monitoring topic (time allocation / computation,
gantt diagrams...).

More generally, I'm wondering how alive is the Trac project. I really
like this tool and I could (sporadically) give a humble hand in
maintenance but I miss some information to be effective.

Is there somewhere a global view of the plugins compatibility with
python3 ? with Trac 1.5 ?

In my recent attempts, I have locally patched some plugins (but failed
to make them properly work). Is there a frame for Trac plugins migration
to python3 (I just fell on this:
https://portingguide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html) ? Can these
local patches be of any interest in a hope of making any progress in the
migration ?

Thanks,

Jean

RjOllos

Dec 7, 2021, 12:22:02 PM12/7/21
to Trac Users
On Tuesday, December 7, 2021 at 4:54:15 AM UTC-5 v.jean...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to put some Trac plugins together to get myself a tool
satisfying my project management needs for the couple of coming years.

I feel like I'm not far from this goal but I'm still stepping against
the time and resource monitoring topic (time allocation / computation,
gantt diagrams...).

That's never been a strong suit of Trac in my opinion. There have been efforts to create some tools, but not many are currently maintained.

There are a few well-maintained plugins, such as https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/WeekPlanPlugin

But beware of installing just anything off trac-hacks as many are not maintained or even functional.

More generally, I'm wondering how alive is the Trac project. I really
like this tool and I could (sporadically) give a humble hand in
maintenance but I miss some information to be effective.

Is there somewhere a global view of the plugins compatibility with
python3 ? with Trac 1.5 ?

In my recent attempts, I have locally patched some plugins (but failed
to make them properly work). Is there a frame for Trac plugins migration
to python3 (I just fell on this:
https://portingguide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html) ? Can these
local patches be of any interest in a hope of making any progress in the
migration ?

Possibly, but that link isn't valid. Can you resend?

Thanks,

Jean

figaro

Dec 12, 2021, 8:44:51 AM12/12/21
to Trac Users
One of the best ways to contribute is to install Trac with some recommended plugins and post your findings (if any) on either the Trac website or the Trac plugin page. Recommended plugins is a subjective term, but any plugin tagged with 1.4 is a good choice. Trac itself is highly stable and functionally few degenerate edge cases remain. Please note that most websites using Trac have highly customised versions and more than likely you will roll your own tooling to run on top of your install.
For time tracking, the plugins TimeTrackingPlugin and TracHoursPlugin are two of the more recent ones.