Using trac + ldap (with nginx or only tracd - no apache)

unmanifest

Jun 30, 2014, 1:44:43 AM6/30/14
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Hi - hope this isn't a repeat but I couldn't find any relevant information that exactly addresses my concern.

I'm trying to setup Trac (1.0.1) to use LDAP for user authentication. I know that LDAP (OpenLDAP) itself is working properly on my system (for user login etc.). I started off first with DirectoryAuthPlugin. If I turn on the logs I see that it keeps trying to bind anonymously (which is how I set it up). But when I try to login it seems to not do anything. Before I clutter up this post with details of the logs etc. - my question is - what should I be using to get LDAP authentication working with Trac? And I don't want to use Apache - I'm using nginx. Can it be done? Appreciate any pointers - thanks a lot!

Andriy Tymchenko

Jun 30, 2014, 11:55:29 AM6/30/14
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
have you tried LDAP plugin?
http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/LdapPlugin

unmanifest

Jun 30, 2014, 7:53:47 PM6/30/14
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, June 30, 2014 8:55:29 AM UTC-7, Andriy Tymchenko wrote:
have you tried LDAP plugin?
http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/LdapPlugin

No, I have not. But I did look at it and from my understanding (possibly incomplete/incorrect), it only works with/requires Apache? For e.g. under 'Configuration' - step #1 Authentication (Apache configuration) - seems to suggest that it only works with Apache. Is that not the case? Thank you.

Ryan Ollos

Jul 7, 2014, 3:42:23 PM7/7/14
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 10:44 PM, unmanifest <balaji.s.v...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi - hope this isn't a repeat but I couldn't find any relevant information that exactly addresses my concern.

I'm trying to setup Trac (1.0.1) to use LDAP for user authentication. I know that LDAP (OpenLDAP) itself is working properly on my system (for user login etc.). I started off first with DirectoryAuthPlugin. If I turn on the logs I see that it keeps trying to bind anonymously (which is how I set it up). But when I try to login it seems to not do anything. Before I clutter up this post with details of the logs etc. - my question is - what should I be using to get LDAP authentication working with Trac? And I don't want to use Apache - I'm using nginx. Can it be done? Appreciate any pointers - thanks a lot!

As far as I know, the only question you need to ask is how to get LDAP authentication working with Ngnix. The web server handles authentication, so if your web server is properly serving Trac, and the web server is properly handling authentication, then you should be set. My only point is, you should be able to expand your web search to look for tutorials on integrating LDAP with Ngnix, without any specific concern for Trac.

There is some documentation on Trac and Ngnix, but no specific recipe for Ngnix and LDAP. Feel free to add it if you work it out!

http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracNginxRecipe
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracFastCgi#SimpleNginxConfiguration