Milestone management

Michael K

May 13, 2021, 5:33:13 PM5/13/21
to Trac Users
We've been using Trac for around 14 years and have amassed several hundred milestones. Is there a good way to manage these so the various dropdowns aren't freakishly long? I know the open milestones sort to the top, but that still isn't ideal.

Deleting the milestone certainly works, but we lose the ability to see which tickets where in what milestone with that approach. Also not great.

Changing the control from a pure dropdown to an editable combobox would be great, or an Archived state that prevented the dropdowns from populating those milestones.

I'm guessing the answer here is going to be "Good idea -- write a plugin!" with a strong dash of "It sounds like you aren't using milestones correctly..." but I'm hoping someone else might have already addressed this.

Thanks!
-mck

RjOllos

May 13, 2021, 9:54:42 PM5/13/21
to Trac Users
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 5:33:13 PM UTC-4 Michael K wrote:
We've been using Trac for around 14 years and have amassed several hundred milestones. Is there a good way to manage these so the various dropdowns aren't freakishly long? I know the open milestones sort to the top, but that still isn't ideal.

The closed milestones won't be shown in the ticket view provided you don't have TICKET_ADMIN. I think, or is it MILESTONE_ADMIN?

Deleting the milestone certainly works, but we lose the ability to see which tickets where in what milestone with that approach. Also not great.

Yeah, the proposed archive feature may be useful or milestones as well:

Changing the control from a pure dropdown to an editable combobox would be great, or an Archived state that prevented the dropdowns from populating those milestones.

Discussed a little bit here:

figaro

May 22, 2021, 4:02:44 AM5/22/21
to Trac Users