Trac 1.4.3 logs me in just by clicking the "Login" tab

Rick Macdonald

Mar 24, 2023, 12:30:26 AM3/24/23
to Trac Users
I built a new install of Trac 1.4.3, coming from and old 1.0.3.

So far I've only installed these plugins:

TracAccountManager 0.5.0

TracIniAdminPanel 1.4.1

The first time I login, it asks for userid and pwd as expected, but after that if I Logout and click Login again, it logs me straight in. My browsers don't have any auto-fill credentials saved. Chrome and Firefox (on Debian Linux) both behave in the same way. I'm pretty sure v1.0.3 didn't do that. I searched the web and found a ticket about exactly this, with much discussing about browser cookies and what to do about it, but it was form 17 years ago.

What can I do?

Also, I'm sure the 1.0.3 ADMIN page (or user Preferences) had a way for a user to change his password, but I can't find anything like that in 1.4.3.

Jun Omae

Mar 24, 2023, 3:24:31 AM3/24/23
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
I suggest to check warnings/errors in $ENV/log/trac.log before asking
on the mailing list. The errors should have been logged.
Also, the same issue has been filed in https://trac-hacks.org/ticket/14177.
Try https://trac-hacks.org/svn/accountmanagerplugin/trunk/ rather than
0.5.0 for Trac 1.4.x.

--
Jun Omae <jun...@gmail.com> (大前 潤)

Rick Macdonald

Mar 24, 2023, 3:46:13 PM3/24/23
to Trac Users
I had seen messages in the log, but they referred to "NotifyEmail". Now I see and understand that it caused parts of acct_mgr to be skipped. I upgraded to TracAccountManager-0.6.dev0 and got the Accounts/Users section back.

I still have the problem that I can't logout and get back to the Login panel. It logs me back in.

Rick Macdonald

Mar 25, 2023, 3:39:36 PM3/25/23
to Trac Users

I got around the login issues by configuring to use the AccuntManager's HTML form. THis will be OK, as I suspect I'll have to use tracd from now on as the host (Dreamhost.com) no longer supports Trac in any way. This is to say, they won't configure anything in apache for me. We ran tracd for about 9 months, about 3 years ago, so we'll get by.

Configuration

To use the AccountManager's HTML form, you need to explicitly disable Trac's own HTTP authentication module. To do so add this your trac.ini file or find and modify these existing lines accordingly:

[components]
acct_mgr.web_ui.LoginModule
= enabled
trac.web.auth.LoginModule
= disabled

When using the tracd server be sure not to use the --auth or --basic-auth options. Using either of these options will cause tracd to popup the username/password dialog box and you will not be able to use AccountManagerPlugin's HTML form.