Getting a Warning and questions about migrating from version 0.12 to 1.4x

B Payne

Dec 16, 2021, 7:57:49 AM12/16/21
to Trac Users
Lately people have been getting this warning when adding a comment to a Trac.

"Warning: The change has been saved, but an error occurred while sending notifications: (421, '4.7.66 TLS 1.0 and 1.1 are not supported. Please upgrade/update your client to support TLS 1.2. Visit https://aka.ms/smtp_auth_tls. [BN0PR10CA0028.namprd10.prod.outlook.com]')"

Is there an easy way to fix this issue or do I need to upgrade/update our Trac software?

If the latter is true, I am the one that has been tasked with updating the Trac server's OS and the Trac software.  Aside from using the GUI, I have no experience with this software and I'm not very proficient with Linux.  I know that's a bad starting point but, I'm willing to try learn what I can.  The person that initially setup our Trac server hasn't worked for our company for a while and it's fallen to me to address updating this product.  In my opinion, it seems like it might be easier to start with a new machine, with the latest OS on it, and then see if I can migrate the existing machine's data over to the new machine.  Is this, in fact, easier or is there another path that might be smarter and more efficient?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

RjOllos

Dec 17, 2021, 11:46:12 AM12/17/21
to Trac Users
On Thursday, December 16, 2021 at 7:57:49 AM UTC-5 branp...@gmail.com wrote:
Lately people have been getting this warning when adding a comment to a Trac.

"Warning: The change has been saved, but an error occurred while sending notifications: (421, '4.7.66 TLS 1.0 and 1.1 are not supported. Please upgrade/update your client to support TLS 1.2. Visit https://aka.ms/smtp_auth_tls. [BN0PR10CA0028.namprd10.prod.outlook.com]')"

Is there an easy way to fix this issue or do I need to upgrade/update our Trac software?

What OS are you running now?

If the latter is true, I am the one that has been tasked with updating the Trac server's OS and the Trac software.  Aside from using the GUI, I have no experience with this software and I'm not very proficient with Linux.  I know that's a bad starting point but, I'm willing to try learn what I can.  The person that initially setup our Trac server hasn't worked for our company for a while and it's fallen to me to address updating this product.  In my opinion, it seems like it might be easier to start with a new machine, with the latest OS on it, and then see if I can migrate the existing machine's data over to the new machine.  Is this, in fact, easier or is there another path that might be smarter and more efficient?

Migrate might be easiest. The process is fairly straightforward and we'd be happy to give you pointers here.

Jun Omae

Dec 21, 2021, 3:37:32 AM12/21/21
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 9:57 PM B Payne <branp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Warning: The change has been saved, but an error occurred while sending notifications: (421, '4.7.66 TLS 1.0 and 1.1 are not supported. Please upgrade/update your client to support TLS 1.2. Visit https://aka.ms/smtp_auth_tls. [BN0PR10CA0028.namprd10.prod.outlook.com]')"

Try to upgrade Python to 2.7.9 or later, which support TLS 1.2.

--
Jun Omae <jun...@gmail.com> (大前 潤)

B Payne

Dec 23, 2021, 9:17:52 AM12/23/21
to Trac Users

B Payne

Dec 23, 2021, 9:21:18 AM12/23/21
to Trac Users
On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 11:46:12 AM UTC-5 RjOllos wrote:
Migrate might be easiest. The process is fairly straightforward and we'd be happy to give you pointers here.

I will take  any advice you have to offer.

Trac - 0.12rc1
CustomFieldAdmin  - 0.2.2
Genshi  - 0.6
mod_python  - 3.2.8
pysqlite  - 2.6.0
Python  - 2.4.3 (#1, Sep 3 2009, 15:37:12) [GCC 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-46)]
setuptools  - 0.6c5
SQLite  - 3.6.23.1
Subversion  - 1.6.11 (r934486)
jQuery:  - 1.4.2

Thank you again.

RjOllos

Dec 23, 2021, 3:45:39 PM12/23/21
to Trac Users
That's pretty old, and like Jun said you need to move to Python 2.7.9 or later. The easiest option may be to use Turnkey Linux or a Bitnami VM: