Trac for Python 3

anton

Feb 26, 2019, 4:59:57 PM2/26/19
to trac...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have only a small question:
Will trac will be available for python3?

Thanks

Anton

RjOllos

Feb 26, 2019, 5:09:29 PM2/26/19
to Trac Development
It's a little ways away. I'd like to cutover to Python 3 for Trac 1.6 rather than supporting 2 and 3 on the same codebase. I'd like that to happen by the end of 2019 when Python 2 goes end of life.

The Trac developers need to agree on a plan and we need to find time to do the work.

- Ryan

Mike Dewhirst

Apr 9, 2019, 11:23:30 PM4/9/19
to Trac Development
I have used Trac for a long time and really appreciate it. I have also looked under the covers and found the sophistication of the coding a little above my pay grade.

If you can dream up a plan which carves out some "easy" bits for people like me I would be happy to volunteer.

Getting a plan together isn't easy. Can I suggest a plan for a plan?

1. Re-document the code in stages with a target audience of ordinary Python devs who might volunteer to port it to Py3

This would be the task of the best and brightest of the existing developers because it would lead to at least a little refactoring. So stage 1 would be top level module doc strings which overviewed each module and explained why it contains the classes and methods it does and its relationship to other modules. Stage 2 would be class doc strings which expand on their module doc strings.

2. Based on re-documentation experience, propose a porting plan among existing Trac devs. Decide whether to use six or go cold turkey.

3. Call widely on existing Trac users to volunteer for the heavy lifting such as unit tests and recoding.

Trac is fantastic software. There are thousands of willing helpers out here.

Thanks

Mike

Wentao Ma

Dec 11, 2019, 9:48:56 AM12/11/19
to Trac Development
I've just shifted my little test lib form py2 to py3 , It's a hard work.
I do hope Trac has its py3 era.

Anyway , Thanks a lot , Ryan, I can use Trac in py2 still.

The group is a little quiet.

--Wentao

Steffen Hoffmann

Dec 12, 2019, 10:51:22 PM12/12/19
to trac...@googlegroups.com
Wouldn't it be better to declare Trac Py3 the next major release, so 2.0 instead of 1.6, just for added clarity of that important switch?

What looks like discussing cosmetic, rather feels like an important communication issue to me.

A lot of plugin development has to follow too, if we like to keep the wide range of solutions with Trac as attractiv as it has grown by now.

Greetings

Steffen Hoffmann

Steffen Hoffmann

Dec 13, 2019, 3:04:17 AM12/13/19
to trac...@googlegroups.com
Am 11. Dezember 2019 12:19:38 MEZ schrieb Wentao Ma <mawen...@gmail.com>:
>I've just shifted my little test lib form py2 to py3 , It's a hard
>work.
>I do hope Trac has its py3 era.
>
> ... The group is a little quiet.
>
>--Wentao

Sure thing, but it's up to anyone to challenge communication on current issues, do coding and testing tasks, to make it better. Contributions heartly welcome. :-)

Greetings

Steffen Hoffmann