TracInABox - Everything needed to run Trac in a single directory

Bill S

Aug 9, 2019, 8:18:14 PM8/9/19
to Trac Development
Anybody interested in building a zero install Trac or better making the build process have the option to make this?

 I tried to do this but my skill points were too low.

I think it would be nice to be able to install Trac to a single directory. All necessary 3rd party requirements (python, lib???) would also be installed to that directory. The SVN repo would also be in that directory. Everything related to this instance of Trac is in that dir.

The goals would be for a super simple deployment, rsyncable offline instances of the whole wiki, …

Of course a TracInABox for linux wouldnt work on Windows.

Also being able to install hacks/extensions into the same directory would be great.

Besides being an easy backup and deployment method, it would be rsyncable between disconnected systems.

Probably would not integrate with an external web server but instead use the Trac web interface method.

Thanks,
Bill

RjOllos

Aug 27, 2019, 5:51:49 PM8/27/19
to Trac Development

On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 5:18:14 PM UTC-7, Bill S wrote:
Anybody interested in building a zero install Trac or better making the build process have the option to make this?

Containers would be a good solution.

 I tried to do this but my skill points were too low.

I think it would be nice to be able to install Trac to a single directory. All necessary 3rd party requirements (python, lib???) would also be installed to that directory. The SVN repo would also be in that directory. Everything related to this instance of Trac is in that dir.

The goals would be for a super simple deployment, rsyncable offline instances of the whole wiki, …

Of course a TracInABox for linux wouldnt work on Windows.

Also being able to install hacks/extensions into the same directory would be great.

Besides being an easy backup and deployment method, it would be rsyncable between disconnected systems.

Probably would not integrate with an external web server but instead use the Trac web interface method.

I've done this for several sites using Debian OS. The key point is to use a Python virtual environment.

/srv/www.examplesite.org/pve - Python virtual environment
/srv/www.examplesite.org/tracenvs - the Trac environments
/srv/www.examplesite.org/www - the deployment directory, created by "trac-admin tracenvs/env1 deploy www"
/srv/www.examplesite.org/repos - SVN repositories