Bitten port to new API

lmontes

Sep 14, 2021, 12:15:28 AM9/14/21
to Trac Development
I've tried to port an existing installation of svn-trac-bitten to run on a more modern OS (Ubuntu 20.04) but I've run into issues with bitten. It seems clear to that bitten has not been updated to the newer trac API interfaces. Are there any plans to do that? I'm willing to put the work, but I'm not too familiar with Python (more of a C++ programmer), so I'm sure it's going to be a bit of a learning curve. Are there any places where I can find what were the changes (and hopefully some examples of other plugins that were ported)
Thanks

RjOllos

Sep 15, 2021, 3:37:33 PM9/15/21
to Trac Development
On Monday, September 13, 2021 at 9:15:28 PM UTC-7 lmontes wrote:
I've tried to port an existing installation of svn-trac-bitten to run on a more modern OS (Ubuntu 20.04) but I've run into issues with bitten. It seems clear to that bitten has not been updated to the newer trac API interfaces. Are there any plans to do that? I'm willing to put the work, but I'm not too familiar with Python (more of a C++ programmer), so I'm sure it's going to be a bit of a learning curve. Are there any places where I can find what were the changes (and hopefully some examples of other plugins that were ported)
Thanks

If there's no longer any development of Bitten, you may want to make a fork.

Ryan

lmontes

Sep 16, 2021, 12:40:46 PM9/16/21
to Trac Development
Thanks, I'll try that. But if I had to fork and do the port myself, do you have any pointer as to where to find the changes to the Trac interface? It seems that, for example, one of the things that are not working is the mail notification for builds.

RjOllos

Sep 16, 2021, 12:48:05 PM9/16/21
to Trac Development
On Thursday, September 16, 2021 at 9:40:46 AM UTC-7 lmontes wrote:
Thanks, I'll try that. But if I had to fork and do the port myself, do you have any pointer as to where to find the changes to the Trac interface? It seems that, for example, one of the things that are not working is the mail notification for builds.

Yeah, a new notification API was added in 1.2, and old API was deprecated and removed in 1.4:

General information about API changes is linked from here:

Ryan

lmontes

Sep 16, 2021, 12:50:44 PM9/16/21
to Trac Development
Ok, sorry, I should have googled it first. I found:
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/ApiChanges/1.2
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/ApiChanges/1.4
Instead, do you know of any other add-on to Trac that had to go through the same changes, something I could look at and not have to re-invent the wheel? I looked at the bitten mailing list, and the last entry is almost 10 years ago, so it does not look promising ...

RjOllos

Sep 16, 2021, 3:22:14 PM9/16/21
to Trac Development
On Thursday, September 16, 2021 at 9:50:44 AM UTC-7 lmontes wrote:
Ok, sorry, I should have googled it first. I found:
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/ApiChanges/1.2
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/ApiChanges/1.4
Instead, do you know of any other add-on to Trac that had to go through the same changes, something I could look at and not have to re-invent the wheel? I looked at the bitten mailing list, and the last entry is almost 10 years ago, so it does not look promising ...

There are a number of plugins on trac-hacks that have been ported to Trac 1.4, but I don't know if those examples will be more helpful. XmlRpc might be worth looking at:

It's going to be a lot of work to port Bitten.