Trac 0.11.6 Released

Christian Boos

Nov 28, 2009, 7:48:00 PM11/28/09
to Trac Users, Trac Development
Trac 0.11.6 Released
====================

We're happy to announce the Trac 0.11.6 release.

You will find this release at the usual place:
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDownload

Trac 0.11.6 contains a number of security and bug fixes,
as well as minor enhancements.
The following list contains only a few highlights:

* Added a check for the "raw" role that is missing in docutils
< 0.6.
* Added caching of configuration options (#8510).
* The Database is locked issue with SQLite databases is gone
(#3446, #8468).
* SQLite v2.x support is now formally deprecated.
You're strongly advised to upgrade (#8625).
* Avoid corruption of trac.ini during write (#8623).
* Improved support for revision ranges in the revision
log view (#8349).

You can find a more detailed release note at:
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/ChangeLog

Acknowledgements
================

Many thanks to the growing number of people who have, and continue to,
support the project. Also our thanks to all people providing feedback
and bug reports that helps us make Trac better, easier to use and more
effective.
Without your invaluable help, Trac would not evolve. Thank you all.

Finally, we offer hope that Trac will prove itself useful to like-
minded programmers around the world, and that this release will be
an improvement over the last version.

Please let us know. :-)
/The Trac Team http://trac.edgewall.org/

victoria

Dec 1, 2009, 12:33:36 PM12/1/09
to Trac Development

Hi,

I'm Victoria from BitNami project. I don't know if you know the
project but summarizing it we pack open source applications with all
their depencies and we distribute them completly free. We have
received lot of request from our users for upgrading our package of
Trac and finally we have released a new package that includes Trac
0.11.6, Apache 2.2.13, Subversion 1.6.6 and SQLite. We'll really
appreciate if you, as Trac experts, could take a look into it and give
us your feedback. We are willing to improve it in order to give a
satisfactory experience for all users that use Trac by means of
BitNami.

I include some links. It would not interfere with any software
installed in your system so if you already have a different version of
Trac, Pyhon, etc, don't worry, this will not break anything. It
doesn't add anything to your path, nor any other enviroment variable.
Also when you uninstall it, it will remove everything that was
installed.

http://bitnami.org/files/stacks/trac/0.11.6-0/bitnami-trac-0.11.6-0-windows-installer.exe
http://bitnami.org/files/stacks/trac/0.11.6-0/bitnami-trac-0.11.6-0-linux-installer.bin
http://bitnami.org/files/stacks/trac/0.11.6-0/bitnami-trac-0.11.6-0-osx-x86-installer.app.zip
http://bitnami.org/files/stacks/trac/0.11.6-0/bitnami-trac-0.11.6-0-opensuse-11.1.zip

Thanks in advance,

Victoria.
On Nov 29, 12:48 am, Christian Boos <cb...@neuf.fr> wrote:
> Trac0.11.6Released
> ====================
>
> We're happy to announce the Trac0.11.6release.
>
> You will find this release at the usual place:http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDownload
>
> Trac0.11.6contains a number of security and bug fixes,

Christian Boos

Dec 2, 2009, 6:14:21 AM12/2/09
to trac...@googlegroups.com
victoria wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm Victoria from BitNami project. I don't know if you know the
> project but summarizing it we pack open source applications with all
> their depencies and we distribute them completly free. We have
> received lot of request from our users for upgrading our package of
> Trac and finally we have released a new package that includes Trac
> 0.11.6, Apache 2.2.13, Subversion 1.6.6 and SQLite. We'll really
> appreciate if you, as Trac experts, could take a look into it and give
> us your feedback. We are willing to improve it in order to give a
> satisfactory experience for all users that use Trac by means of
> BitNami.

Thanks for letting us know, this seems to be a good idea.
However ...

> I include some links. It would not interfere with any software
> installed in your system so if you already have a different version of
> Trac, Pyhon, etc, don't worry, this will not break anything. It
> doesn't add anything to your path, nor any other enviroment variable.
> Also when you uninstall it, it will remove everything that was
> installed.
>
> http://bitnami.org/files/stacks/trac/0.11.6-0/bitnami-trac-0.11.6-0-windows-installer.exe

... the .exe won't start for me (Vista x64 with UAC - running from an
Adminstrator console).
depends.exe doesn't show any problem and there's nothing in the event
viewer log.
I'm now downloading the VM image ;-)

Thanks for supporting Trac,

-- Christian

Christian Boos

Dec 2, 2009, 6:23:43 AM12/2/09
to trac...@googlegroups.com
Ah yes, forgot to mention:

$ md5sum.exe C:/Downloads/bitnami-trac-0.11.6-0-windows-installer.exe
9a3f085be65205e430a0fe962c7dde67
*C:/Downloads/bitnami-trac-0.11.6-0-windows-installer.exe

But your web page says:

MD5 (Windows): b212db9a77dbe26d8ec6f0b886985bb7

?

-- Christian

victoria

Dec 2, 2009, 6:27:46 AM12/2/09
to Trac Development
Hi Chirstian,

Thanks! Looking forward to your comments.

About the windows installer the previous version was corrupted, sorry!

The below should work however I'm going to test it again on Windows
64bits..just in case..

http://bitnami.org/files/stacks/trac/0.11.6-0/bitnami-trac-0.11.6-0-windows-installer-r01.exe

On Dec 2, 11:14 am, Christian Boos <cb...@neuf.fr> wrote:
> victoria wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I'm Victoria from BitNami project. I don't know if you know the
> > project but summarizing it we pack open source applications with all
> > their depencies and we distribute them completly free. We have
> > received lot of request from our users for upgrading our package of
> > Trac and finally we have released a new package that includes Trac
> > 0.11.6, Apache 2.2.13, Subversion 1.6.6 and SQLite. We'll really
> > appreciate if you, as Trac experts, could take a look into it and give
> > us your feedback. We are willing to improve it in order to give a
> > satisfactory experience for all users that use Trac by means of
> > BitNami.
>
> Thanks for letting us know, this seems to be a good idea.
> However ...
>
> > I include some links. It would not interfere with any software
> > installed in your system so if you already have a different version of
> > Trac, Pyhon, etc, don't worry, this will not break anything. It
> > doesn't add anything to your path, nor any other enviroment variable.
> > Also when you uninstall it, it will remove everything that was
> > installed.
>
> >http://bitnami.org/files/stacks/trac/0.11.6-0/bitnami-trac-0.11.6-0-w...
>
> ... the .exe won't start for me (Vista x64 with UAC - running from an
> Adminstrator console).
> depends.exe doesn't show any problem and there's nothing in the event
> viewer log.
>
> >http://bitnami.org/files/stacks/trac/0.11.6-0/bitnami-trac-0.11.6-0-l...
> >http://bitnami.org/files/stacks/trac/0.11.6-0/bitnami-trac-0.11.6-0-o...
> >http://bitnami.org/files/stacks/trac/0.11.6-0/bitnami-trac-0.11.6-0-o...

victoria

Dec 2, 2009, 6:47:26 AM12/2/09
to Trac Development
Hi,

Confirmed. The new link for windows should work also on Windows
64bits.

On Dec 2, 11:27 am, victoria <kaysa.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Chirstian,
>
> Thanks! Looking forward to your comments.
>
> About the windows installer the previous version was corrupted, sorry!
>
> The below should work however I'm going to test it again on Windows
> 64bits..just in case..
>
> http://bitnami.org/files/stacks/trac/0.11.6-0/bitnami-trac-0.11.6-0-w...

Christian Boos

Dec 2, 2009, 9:05:30 AM12/2/09
to trac...@googlegroups.com
victoria wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Confirmed. The new link for windows should work also on Windows
> 64bits.

Yep, the second installer worked. It's a bit unusual to end up with
32-bits software installed below C:\Program Files, though (should be
"C:\Program Files (x86)" on Windows x64 systems).

However, I made the mistake to use a project name containing spaces -
the environment path is correctly quoted, but not the projectname
argument after initenv:

Error running C:\Program Files\BitNami Trac Stack/python/python.exe
"C:\Program Files\BitNami Trac Stack\trac\Scripts\trac-admin-script.py"
"C:\Users\cboos\BITNAM~1\BitNami Trac 0.11.6" initenv BitNami Trac
0.11.6 sqlite:db/trac.db svn "C:\Users\cboos\BitNami Trac Stack repository"

Then, trying to fix that by using the "Use BitNami Trac stack" cmd
shell, I saw that trac-admin was not available.
The "C:\Program Files\BitNami Trac Stack\trac\Scripts" path should be
put in the PATH, for that shell (in the ./scripts/setenv.bat file).

After fixing it:

>trac-admin "C:\Users\cboos\BitNami Trac Stack projects\BitNami Trac
0.11.6" initenv "BitNami Trac 0.11.6" sqlite:db/trac.db svn
"C:\Users\cboos\BitNami Trac Stack repository"
Creating and Initializing Project
Congratulations!

At that point, the environment was reachable via tracd:

>tracd "C:\Users\cboos\BitNami Trac Stack projects\BitNami Trac 0.11.6"
-p 9999

But not via Apache, I had to restart first, no big deal.

Authentication was correctly set up, though for a more effective start,
one would expect that the user specified in the installer would end up
having the TRAC_ADMIN permissions, so that you can start right away
configuring your environment.

The README.txt file still talks about the WebAdmin plugin as an example
- bad example, as you should *not* install the 0.10.x WebAdmin plugin in
Trac 0.11.x, which has the admin panels built in.

A part from those minor glitches (which I think are easy to fix), it
works great, mod_python is correctly configured.
In addition, it would be great if HTTP access to the svn repository
would be configured as well, so that people could start commit code to
their project right away ;-)

I also like the very clean way everything is organized below "C:\Program
Files\BitNami Trac Stack", but apparently it's in part theoretical, as
the actual install of python Lib and DLLs is duplicated below
apache2/bin. If one wants to upgrade Trac manually (hint for fellow Trac
developers, try out 0.12dev!), then the .eggs, .pths and all that have
to end up *there*).

Hope you'll find the advice helpful. On my side, I'll use the BitNami
Trac as a nice test environment for mod_python 3.3.1 on Windows ;-)

-- Christian

PS: hint for other Trac developers: if you want to "upgrade" such a
BitNami install to 0.12dev, then use the provided python to perform the
installation, as admin (btw. I'd be interested to know how to get a
separate trac012\Lib\site-pages folder, instead of installing in
python\Lib\site-packages), then be sure to modify/delete
./apache2/bin/Lib/site-packages/trac.pth

victoria

Dec 2, 2009, 6:03:03 PM12/2/09
to Trac Development
Hi!

> Yep, the second installer worked. It's a bit unusual to end up with
> 32-bits software installed below C:\Program Files, though (should be
> "C:\Program Files (x86)" on Windows x64 systems).

We have found some issues (in other application packages) with '(' and
')' characters as not all applications support that. That is why we
setting "C:\Program Files" by default as the installation directory.

> However, I made the mistake to use a project name containing spaces -
> the environment path is correctly quoted, but not the projectname
> argument after initenv:
>
>   Error running C:\Program Files\BitNami Trac Stack/python/python.exe
> "C:\Program Files\BitNami Trac Stack\trac\Scripts\trac-admin-script.py"
> "C:\Users\cboos\BITNAM~1\BitNami Trac 0.11.6" initenv BitNami Trac
> 0.11.6 sqlite:db/trac.db svn "C:\Users\cboos\BitNami Trac Stack repository"

mmm...You are completely right. I'll fix it

> Then, trying to fix that by using the "Use BitNami Trac stack" cmd
> shell, I saw that trac-admin was not available.
> The "C:\Program Files\BitNami Trac Stack\trac\Scripts" path should be
> put in the PATH, for that shell (in the ./scripts/setenv.bat file).

Good point.

> After fixing it:
>
>   >trac-admin "C:\Users\cboos\BitNami Trac Stack projects\BitNami Trac
> 0.11.6" initenv "BitNami Trac 0.11.6" sqlite:db/trac.db svn
> "C:\Users\cboos\BitNami Trac Stack repository"
>   Creating and Initializing Project
>   Congratulations!
>
> At that point, the environment was reachable via tracd:
>
>  >tracd "C:\Users\cboos\BitNami Trac Stack projects\BitNami Trac 0.11.6"
> -p 9999
>
> But not via Apache, I had to restart first, no big deal.

I think this is because the installation failed (due to the spaces in
the project name). If the installation had finished correctly the
installer would have done all that (create the project and restart
apache). Once the installation is finished (successfully) the browser
will show the Trac site ready to use.

> Authentication was correctly set up, though for a more effective start,
> one would expect that the user specified in the installer would end up
> having the TRAC_ADMIN permissions, so that you can start right away
> configuring your environment.

Ok. You are referring to this: "trac-admin /path/to/projenv permission
add bob TRAC_ADMIN". We'll add this, it makes sense

> The README.txt file still talks about the WebAdmin plugin as an example
> - bad example, as you should *not* install the 0.10.x WebAdmin plugin in
> Trac 0.11.x, which has the admin panels built in.

I missed that. Any suggestion? Do you know which is the Trac plugin
that people use more?

> A part from those minor glitches (which I think are easy to fix), it
> works great, mod_python is correctly configured.
> In addition, it would be great if HTTP access to the svn repository
> would be configured as well, so that people could start commit code to
> their project right away ;-)

Are you referring to configuring apache with mod_dav? The reason why
we don't configure it is because you can browse your code through the
Trac interface but I may be missing something...

> I also like the very clean way everything is organized below "C:\Program
> Files\BitNami Trac Stack", but apparently it's in part theoretical, as
> the actual install of python Lib and DLLs is duplicated below
> apache2/bin. If one wants to upgrade Trac manually (hint for fellow Trac
> developers, try out 0.12dev!), then the .eggs, .pths and all that have
> to end up *there*).

We try to keep the same structure for all distributions (linux, osx
and windows). However, on Windows, duplicate these folders is
necessary if we want to avoid creating environment variables and keep
clean the user environment (as mentioned earlier we don't modify the
user environment variables).

> Hope you'll find the advice helpful. On my side, I'll use the BitNami
> Trac as a nice test environment for mod_python 3.3.1 on Windows ;-)

Ah! Enjoy it :) And thanks! Really appreciated your feedback. We'll
start working on the
improvements :)

> -- Christian
>
> PS: hint for other Trac developers: if you want to "upgrade" such a
> BitNami install to 0.12dev, then use the provided python to perform the
> installation, as admin (btw. I'd be interested to know how to get a
> separate trac012\Lib\site-pages folder, instead of installing in
> python\Lib\site-packages), then be sure to modify/delete
> ./apache2/bin/Lib/site-packages/trac.pth

Internally in the installer we execute:

cd /path/to/Trac-0.11.6
mkdir Lib/site-packages
set PYTHONPATH=<installdir>/trac/Lib/site-packages
"<installdir>\python\python.exe" setup.py install --
prefix="<installdir>\trac"

I hope it helps.

Christian Boos

Dec 3, 2009, 1:05:39 PM12/3/09
to trac...@googlegroups.com
victoria wrote:
> Hi!
>

>> Yep, the second installer worked. It's a bit unusual to end up with
>> 32-bits software installed below C:\Program Files, though (should be
>> "C:\Program Files (x86)" on Windows x64 systems).
>>

> We have found some issues (in other application packages) with '(' and
> ')' characters as not all applications support that. That is why we
> setting "C:\Program Files" by default as the installation directory.

OK, no big deal, I'm not a Windows purist anyway :-)

>> Authentication was correctly set up, though for a more effective start,
>> one would expect that the user specified in the installer would end up
>> having the TRAC_ADMIN permissions, so that you can start right away
>> configuring your environment.
>>

> Ok. You are referring to this: "trac-admin /path/to/projenv permission
> add bob TRAC_ADMIN". We'll add this, it makes sense
>

>> The README.txt file still talks about the WebAdmin plugin as an example
>> - bad example, as you should *not* install the 0.10.x WebAdmin plugin in
>> Trac 0.11.x, which has the admin panels built in.
>>

> I missed that. Any suggestion? Do you know which is the Trac plugin
> that people use more?

Maybe the account manager plugin?
(http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/AccountManagerPlugin).

>> A part from those minor glitches (which I think are easy to fix), it
>> works great, mod_python is correctly configured.
>> In addition, it would be great if HTTP access to the svn repository
>> would be configured as well, so that people could start commit code to
>> their project right away ;-)
>>

> Are you referring to configuring apache with mod_dav? The reason why
> we don't configure it is because you can browse your code through the
> Trac interface but I may be missing something...

mod_dav_svn.so, yes. Browsing is certainly best achieved using Trac, of
course, but some people prefer to use the http:// protocol for checking
the code in and out, in preference to the svn:// protocol (I've seen
that you provide the scripts to install svnserve.exe as a service).

>> I also like the very clean way everything is organized below "C:\Program
>> Files\BitNami Trac Stack", but apparently it's in part theoretical, as
>> the actual install of python Lib and DLLs is duplicated below
>> apache2/bin. If one wants to upgrade Trac manually (hint for fellow Trac
>> developers, try out 0.12dev!), then the .eggs, .pths and all that have
>> to end up *there*).
>>

> We try to keep the same structure for all distributions (linux, osx
> and windows). However, on Windows, duplicate these folders is
> necessary if we want to avoid creating environment variables and keep
> clean the user environment (as mentioned earlier we don't modify the
> user environment variables).

Too bad...

>> Hope you'll find the advice helpful. On my side, I'll use the BitNami
>> Trac as a nice test environment for mod_python 3.3.1 on Windows ;-)
>>

> Ah! Enjoy it :) And thanks! Really appreciated your feedback. We'll
> start working on the
> improvements :)

You're welcome. I think we now have an answer to give to people
complaining about the lack of a full featured installer on Windows ;-)

Some ideas for a future v0.12 stack: Python 2.6, mod_wsgi 3.x instead of
mod_python, and, why not, Mercurial and TracMercurial, in addition to
Subversion ;-)

-- Christian

victoria

Dec 5, 2009, 6:42:43 AM12/5/09
to Trac Development
Hi Christian,

> >> The README.txt file still talks about the WebAdmin plugin as an example
> >> - bad example, as you should *not* install the 0.10.x WebAdmin plugin in
> >> Trac 0.11.x, which has the admin panels built in.
>
> > I missed that. Any suggestion? Do you know which is the Trac plugin
> > that people use more?
>
> Maybe the account manager plugin?
> (http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/AccountManagerPlugin).

In its documentation it says that it doesn't currently work with
0.11.4. I'll give it a try with 0.11.6 that is the version we are
including. What about TracMercurial? :)

> >> A part from those minor glitches (which I think are easy to fix), it
> >> works great, mod_python is correctly configured.
> >> In addition, it would be great if HTTP access to the svn repository
> >> would be configured as well, so that people could start commit code to
> >> their project right away ;-)
>
> > Are you referring to configuring apache with mod_dav? The reason why
> > we don't configure it is because you can browse your code through the
> > Trac interface but I may be missing something...
>
> mod_dav_svn.so, yes. Browsing is certainly best achieved using Trac, of
> course, but some people prefer to use the http:// protocol for checking
> the code in and out, in preference to the svn:// protocol (I've seen
> that you provide the scripts to install svnserve.exe as a service).

We already have a BitNami Subversion package and we configure it to
use mod_dav_svn so it should be easy to configure it in the Trac
package.

> >> Hope you'll find the advice helpful. On my side, I'll use the BitNami
> >> Trac as a nice test environment for mod_python 3.3.1 on Windows ;-)
>
> > Ah! Enjoy it :) And thanks! Really appreciated your feedback. We'll
> > start working on the
> > improvements :)
>
> You're welcome. I think we now have an answer to give to people
> complaining about the lack of a full featured installer on Windows ;-)

And virtual machines, amazon images,... :)

> Some ideas for a future v0.12 stack: Python 2.6, mod_wsgi 3.x instead of
> mod_python, and, why not, Mercurial and TracMercurial, in addition to
> Subversion ;-)

Well... right now we don't include any optional plugin. I'll see what
we can do on our side about Mercurial itself.

Thanks again for your time and feedback!

Victoria.

anatoly techtonik

Jan 3, 2010, 11:55:52 AM1/3/10
to trac-dev
On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Christian Boos <cb...@neuf.fr> wrote:

> You're welcome. I think we now have an answer to give to people
> complaining about the lack of a full featured installer on Windows ;-)

BTW, why there is no installer? `setup.py bdist_wininst` seems to work ok.

> Some ideas for a future v0.12 stack: Python 2.6, mod_wsgi 3.x instead of
> mod_python, and, why not, Mercurial and TracMercurial, in addition to
> Subversion ;-)

mod_wsgi is ready for 0.11 too.

--
anatoly t.