Are large upgrade jumps safe?

Christopher Nelson

Sep 27, 2020, 9:52:44 PM9/27/20
to Trac Dev
I'm coming back to Trac after a long absence.  I have a 1.0.1 installation that I'd like to get updated.  Can I jump to 1.2?  Or do I need to make some interim steps?

I'm not looking forward to the work I'll have to do to get the plugins I maintain up to date.  But I need a 1.2 system to test on before I can really worry about that.

                Chris
--
Christopher Nelson, PE
Professional Software Engineer

Benjamin Lau

Sep 27, 2020, 10:20:55 PM9/27/20
to trac...@googlegroups.com
I did this recently going from 1.0 beta to 1.2 and it went fine. But as you notes getting all the newer plug-ins installed hasn't been super fun.

RjOllos

Sep 28, 2020, 12:41:00 PM9/28/20
to Trac Development
On Sunday, September 27, 2020 at 6:52:44 PM UTC-7 Chris Nelson wrote:
I'm coming back to Trac after a long absence.  I have a 1.0.1 installation that I'd like to get updated.  Can I jump to 1.2?  Or do I need to make some interim steps?

I'm not looking forward to the work I'll have to do to get the plugins I maintain up to date.  But I need a 1.2 system to test on before I can really worry about that.

                Chris

You should be able to jump directly to even 1.4, if desired.
Most plugins are compatible with Trac 1.2 by now, in my experience. Plugins still need a lot of work done for 1.4 (notification system and jinja2 templates).
Be sure to read:

- Ryan

Christopher Nelson

Sep 29, 2020, 8:14:48 PM9/29/20
to Felix Schwarz' via Trac Development
Thanks for the encouragement and feedback.  I think I'll stop at 1.2 for now.

Tonight as I proceed, I'm seeing:

  $ trac-admin /opt/trac/trac1.0 upgrade
  Error: AttributeError: 'Environment' object has no attribute 'get_db_cnx'

Which seems to be attributable to SubticketsPlugin (https://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/12334), which I use.  Looking into that now...

RjOllos

Sep 29, 2020, 8:20:48 PM9/29/20
to Trac Development
I think we fixed it in Trac 1.4 so that plugins can't break the upgrade process. For 1.2, you should probably disable all of your plugins, upgrade Trac, then upgrade each plugin and enable them one-by-one. The SubticketPlugins is compatible with Trac 1.2:

- Ryan