Status Report for Week #9

0 views
Skip to first unread message

gnusosa

unread,
Jul 28, 2011, 6:10:38 PM7/28/11
to tpf-gsoc-students
For week #9, I met for a few days with my mentors, but didn't set new
tasks, it was mostly code review. They did help me out with the
migration of Dancer::Script to Dancer::Object. After that I added some
other details to my commits, modifications that my mentors had been
pushing since the last weeks. From that most of my time was taken by
handling the module with Dancer::Object. After that, tests and more
tests were part of the whole week. It was really more about me
studying what I was going to do than actually writing code. I did
format the log outputs in the module and added new error messages.

What I worked on Week #9
I completely moved everything to Dancer::Object, so not only did we
make use of Dancer::Logger, but also take more on Dancer modules,
instead of adding more dependencies.
So what does this means? Well, that you go from using this:

$self->{appname} = $appname;

To use this:

$self->appname($appname);

This makes the reading/writing more elegant, and you make use of less
lines per action or logic block.
You can find more about that modification in this commit.
(https://github.com/gnusosa/Dancer/commit/
ff85edfc8707645d04679d492ad51c426df985c5)

While I was at this I used perltidy to indent and format correctly my
files, so I could present Dancer::Script to the core team of Dancer.
So the end-of-lines, tabs, and spaces that my editor was doing, are no
longer in my files.

While I was modifying stuff related to the module, Franck ask me to
modify all the subs naming into private methods. The methods moved
from templates to _templates, and so forth in the file. The following
commit shows the changes.
(https://github.com/gnusosa/Dancer/commit/
f75f9605b011564070e6032ec027f84ca6b3ceb6)

For last, I added the new error outputs using the method error() from
Dancer::Logger::Abstract. Since I was already using debug method, it
felt right to also make use of error(). You can find those lines
changes in this commit.
(https://github.com/gnusosa/Dancer/commit/
8b57c8b258eed80f6d502bf8e88e62a5cba99838)

What's next?
For week #10, the following are the key points:

Finish and polish the documentation for the module.
Fix new errors in several tests.
Write a code hand-out of the plugins implementation.
Add detailed tests to each plugin function.

So this week's work is more than I thought, but I'm happy because of
the progress I've made without much guidance for week #9. For week
#10, I'm happy to say that this would take me all the week, including
the weekend. I don't want to get stuck in the most important thing:
the documentation.

On another note, I introduced Dancer::Script to the Dancer's core
development team in the following post I did in the middle of the
week. Here is the post. I had a positive feedback, so thanks to
everyone that read my post.
(http://log.gnusosa.net/code/gsoc/dancer-script-state)

Cheers to everybody!
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages