Status Report for Week #8

0 views
Skip to first unread message

gnusosa

unread,
Jul 20, 2011, 7:50:05 PM7/20/11
to tpf-gsoc-students
Week #8 was all about code review and meeting with my mentors, not
that we met a whole lot, but the few huddles were about code review
and future tasks. I met with Franck, he tested the few tests that I
work with. Found an error, and quickly fixed with a single string.
After that I added to a single commit. That did the fix. The
conversation moved on to future tasks. As of first feature, I will not
add more routes to MyApp.pm that is scaffolded with script/dancer.
This will only add more lines for the user to delete, and make more
tedious starting to work on writing more code. After all that's why
there is a lot of documentation in Dancer::Cookbook and others. I
would basically end-up reinventing the wheel. We don't want that.
(https://github.com/gnusosa/Dancer/commit/
50e3c883709f60a14b21311e4d0c027428262dde)

From that conversation, Franck established that we should add a better
verbose output of the module. We are moving to a better format by
using Dancer::Logger::Abstract and formatted to a better output.

You can read the whole conversation at this gist.
(https://gist.github.com/1095775)

What I worked on Week #8
I worked on rebasing my current devel branch from my Dancer repo to
the current devel repo in sukrias Dancer repo at github. At which I
failed to rebase. But this was due to the fact that I kept writing
code without pulling from the base branch in Dancer's github repo. But
this would be quite clear to be fixed in time, since Dancer::Script
was written without anything recently added to the new releases nor
the test file for this.

For that week, my work was also dedicated to set the format for
Dancer::Logger::Abstract. I went with "%L> %m" for the format in
which, I couldn't find anything new, but just commit without thinking
about it. I will rewrite this, based on my current work for
Dancer::Logger.

So more of the work on writing code, it was more of planning what was
going to happen in week #9. After all the schedule marked for us to
prepare for the midterm reports and work on planning new features/
changes or fixes. Basically, that's what I did when I met with my
mentors.

I did run perltidy for my current repo that was not correctly
formatted. But as Franck noted, my current branch refactoring/script
still had .perltidyrc which was a huge help for the actual re-
formatting of each file.

Franck, added a new task for the week #9, which is move Dancer::Script
to use Dancer::Object. A module which will make more elegant our $self
calls. For example, moving from doing $self->{appname} you could do
$self->appname with that module. Which is totally more elegant.

What's next?
For week #9, the following are the key points:

Move to Dancer::Object.
Write the documentation for the module.
Rebase up-to-date and test.
Re-format everything with perltidy.

I can't wait to start writing the documentation, and how it will shape
off is what I'm more excited about. There isn't going to be much
content, but this will be new to me, since somebody will finally
critique my content.

Now that the midterm evaluations are over, I'm more calm and ready to
work. I can say that it was a heck of nervous feelings to me. I've
never felt so competent at my work, but then again a lot of people
that I mention in this post, are the ones that helped me pass through
this last weeks rumble.
(http://log.gnusosa.net/code/gsoc/midterm-evaluations)

Congratulations to every mentor and student that pass their midterms
successfully.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages