Linux and H1N1flu

1 view

sunil datta

Jun 26, 2009, 3:36:53 PM6/26/09
to Passion4Freedom
(Sorry I could not decide the right subject)

Real Life give us a lot of example. It depends on us, whether we can
learn from real world or not. I want to put just one line in this
post, which is:

Can we do something to spread Linux like virus?

My main purpose of writing this post is to make a point, how can Linux
propagate faster.

Abhradip

Jun 27, 2009, 1:24:55 PM6/27/09
to Passion4Freedom

> Can we do something to spread Linux like virus?

Do you have any particular plan/proposal that you want to share with
the group?

-- ADM

fedora

Jun 27, 2009, 3:21:30 PM6/27/09
to tp...@googlegroups.com

> > Can we do something to spread Linux like virus?
> >

> Do you have any particular plan/proposal that you want to
> share with the group?

Yes, now I would like to add my proposal. At this very movement, I will
concentrate on media distribution programs only. I don’t want to talk about
a particular free media program, but want to take Linux as a whole.

So, Now what I wanted to say on my lines "Can we do something to spread
Linux like virus?" is as under:

The issue is that whenever anyone receives a OS, may be through free media
program or if anyone downloaded the ISO's. That person (though interested)
is not able to propagate that to other, except his know. Now the reason is
that if I have a Linux OS, I have no centralized place to post this
information for all the Linux Destro I have, so that anyone near to my
location can get that from me, nor there is any common platform available
(as per my knowledge), where I can check for, if there is anyone near me,
who already had my interested destro, from whom I can get that. So, I think
there should be a centralized place.

In addition to above, I think if you ask me for the Free Linux media and get
a Linux OS from me, I have the right to ask you to propagate this and join
my free media program in return.

I agree that my thoughts may require modifications/alterations, but I think
it makes sense.

One more think, I think still it is much easier to get a pirated windows
software locally than to get a Linux software.

Sunil Datta

rohon mukherjee

Jun 27, 2009, 10:12:43 PM6/27/09
to tp...@googlegroups.com
i dont have much more idea in linux.
in this sem linux have been in our course.

neeraj kumar

Jun 28, 2009, 1:36:20 AM6/28/09
to tp...@googlegroups.com
Can we do something to spread Linux like virus?

i think to make linux propagate faster,we should make troubleshooters.
i.e at first we have to find the way to do everything in
linux,whatever we can do in windows.this will make linux a part of
daily life of pc users.
just we should creat a help desk easily available for linux users.

fedora

Jun 28, 2009, 3:41:24 AM6/28/09
to tp...@googlegroups.com
> i think to make linux propagate faster,we should make
> troubleshooters.
> i.e at first we have to find the way to do everything in
> linux,whatever we can do in windows.this will make linux a
> part of daily life of pc users.
> just we should creat a help desk easily available for linux users.

@ Neeraj Kumar
I agree with your point. But I think there are many good brains who can
contribute to make linux trouble free, but fails to contribute, just because
they were not able get a startup kit, the OS. I suggest distribution of all
popular Linux Destros, because this is my personal experience that if one
destro fails to start the gui (which every newbies want), the other destro
succeeds. I have also observed that very few are comfortable with CLI, most
newbies look for gui. Also, for linux to be accepted as desktop OS GUI is
must.

I think to make everyone a good shooter, you first needs sufficient number
of guns.

> On 6/28/09, rohon mukherjee <rm0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > i dont have much more idea in linux.
> > in this sem linux have been in our course.

@Rohon
The only thing I can say is that if you want to know about Linux, you need
to come out of your sem pattern.

Sunil Datta
www.opensourcenuts.com
_________________________
When god solves your problem, you have faith in his abilities....
But when he doesn't solve your problems, remember he has faith in your
abilities...

AD - The Renowned Maniac

Jun 28, 2009, 10:21:33 AM6/28/09
to Passion4Freedom

On Jun 28, 10:36 am, neeraj kumar <aaditya.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can we do something to spread Linux like virus?
>
> i think to make linux propagate faster,we should make  troubleshooters.
> i.e at first we have to find the way to do everything in
> linux,whatever we can do in windows.this will make linux a part of
> daily life of pc users.
> just we should creat a help desk easily available for linux users.

1. I too agree with you Neeraj - WE NEED TO SETUP A HELP DESK !
The sooner we can do it the better the OS will propagate. That is how
the users will have a place to get their issues resolved. I agree that
we do have help desks but they are mostly from the Linux Vendors and
they usually change some money for that. These help desks are mainly
availed by corporate houses who can afford these facilities. Or else
these services are enclosed within academic circles. But unless we can
break these barriers Linux will not reach the common man.

2. Persuade the hardware vendors to release/make available Linux
Drivers for their hardware, as they do it for other OS (Windows or
Mac). In case the vendor does not have enough Linux expertise/team
dedicated for such a task then can always come back to the community.
Now, the question is which community ;) So, that defines the need for
a centralized community for this purpose. This community will develop
the driver for the vendor and also provide the installation procedure
- thus the hardware will always come with a driver. Otherwise
unavailability of drivers shun many newbies away from Linux.

3. Finally I think advertising is equally important. Otherwise who
would bother to adopt Linux without someone explaining them the
advantages of using Linux.

I think these are the basic minimum we need to do to spread this viral
infection of Linux.

> On 6/28/09, rohon mukherjee <rm01...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > i dont have much more idea in linux.
> > in this sem linux have been in our course.

neeraj kumar

Jun 28, 2009, 12:21:40 PM6/28/09
to tp...@googlegroups.com
off course ADVERTISING is a necessary factor.
i m not saying abt jst a help desk,we shuld have EASILY ACCESSABLE
help desk.wen i come across a prblm.i search google 4 troubleshoot.at
first i have to think appropriate key word,then visit many page and
the try the suggestions,on my system,mostly it works,but sometimes
fails.so,i too m having a help desk,but its difficult to access.
so at his level,each of us shuld enhance our knowledge
in daily use prblms occured in linux,before advrtising it.bcoz if u
recommend linux,u must know the solns of prblms in linux.prblms such
as.......efficient way of media playing,connecting mobile gprs or lan
to linux,internet accessing,usin messenger of linux,office work on
linux,picture viewing and editting on linux,adding or removing
packages in linux,source for desired package,accessing all harwares of
linux system.......and many more.
these r some of the problems faced by a new user.so
after recommending linux we shuld know the solns and be alwaz ready to
help widout any cost.

AD - The Renowned Maniac

Jun 29, 2009, 6:02:22 AM6/29/09
to Passion4Freedom
Lets start off by creating a small team of eager people who are
willing to help the n00bs without charging any fee. Also, this team
need to do some ground work on various issues faced by a first time
Linux user and jot down the solutions for them. In case there is no
appropriate solution available, we need to start exploring solutions
for them. It is important to understand that first impression is often
the last impression. It is important to understand that first
impression is often the last impression. So before we can start this
help desk kind of thing we need to gather enough expertise within this
team.

Well I am eager to work on setting up of such a team and also willing
to groom myself so that I can help the new users better. Looking
forward for your views. By the way I am based at Kolkata.

On Jun 28, 9:21 pm, neeraj kumar <aaditya.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> off course ADVERTISING is a necessary factor.
> i m not saying abt jst a help desk,we shuld have EASILY ACCESSABLE
> help desk.wen i come across a prblm.i search google 4 troubleshoot.at
> first i have to think appropriate key word,then visit many page and
> the try the suggestions,on my system,mostly it works,but sometimes
> fails.so,i too m having a help desk,but its difficult to access.
>               so at his level,each of us shuld enhance our knowledge
> in daily use prblms occured in linux,before advrtising it.bcoz if u
> recommend linux,u must know the solns of prblms in linux.prblms such
> as.......efficient way of media playing,connecting mobile gprs or lan
> to linux,internet accessing,usin messenger of linux,office work on
> linux,picture viewing and editting on linux,adding or removing
> packages in linux,source for desired package,accessing all harwares of
> linux system.......and many more.
>               these r some of the problems faced by a new user.so
> after recommending linux we shuld know the solns and be alwaz ready to
> help widout any cost.

fedora

Jun 29, 2009, 10:14:11 AM6/29/09
to tp...@googlegroups.com
I thank to all who replied to my post. But I did not find almost anyone to
understand the issue I tried to raise.

Friends, I can google search, but until I have the OS to install, I will not
have any problem, what to say about the solution. This is the basic think I
was trying to communicate to the community. So for media distribution, I was
looking for good proposals, But I think I failed.

I will soon update my proposal in new post.

> Lets start off by creating a small team of eager people who
> are willing to help the n00bs without charging any fee. Also,
> this team need to do some ground work on various issues faced
> by a first time Linux user and jot down the solutions for
> them. In case there is no appropriate solution available, we
> need to start exploring solutions for them. It is important
> to understand that first impression is often the last
> impression. It is important to understand that first
> impression is often the last impression. So before we can
> start this help desk kind of thing we need to gather enough
> expertise within this team.

AD, I am already trying to help others through my site
www.opensourcenuts.com. The purpose of my site is to provide easy basic
steps to push the need to first gear.

Let me know if I can participate in your proposal.

Sunil Datta