Important note to the members

1 view

ADM

Jun 29, 2009, 3:17:48 PM6/29/09
to Passion4Freedom
Dear all,

Passion4Freedom is not a LUG, not a GLUG, not a FSUG and not even a
mere user group! It is a Freedom in Technology Supporter and Developer
Network. We value the ideologies of Free Technology. We value Richard
Stallman's fight for freedom. We support FSF and Free Software
Movement. Linux is only the kernel at the core of GNU opertaing
system. Calling it just Linux is simply wrong and should be avoided
[1]. Passion4Freedom on its principle, *strictly* does not support and
promote this usage of the word "Linux" to refer to the whole operating
system. This usage has the potential to mislead the community and is
detrimental to the image of P4F as a strong supporter of Free Software
Philosophy.

So please be careful from next post to use GNU/Linux naming convention
[1]. Also make yourself aware of the basic ideologies of P4F movement
[2] & [3].

-- ADM

[1] http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html

[2] http://www.passion4freedom.org

[3] http://p4fnetwrk.co.cc/wiki

ADM

Jun 29, 2009, 3:20:49 PM6/29/09
to Passion4Freedom

fedora

Jun 29, 2009, 4:25:22 PM6/29/09
to tp...@googlegroups.com

ADM, thanks for providing the link. I will take care.

ADM, now, after reading this, few question struck to my mind.

1st question is that RHEL is proprietary software (as per my knowledge, as
it is not free). So, do you think, helping someone for RHEL is right, as
this will mean that we are indirectly helping proprietary software.

2nd Question knocks my mind that Fedora is a project of Redhat, where Redhat
gives the platform to develop, when the project is completed upto a good
level, it is refined and put into RHEL, and supporting fedora means that we
are indirectly supporting proprietary. After all support is support, whether
direct or indirect.

I expect that I should not to be treated like a offender. ADM, please
correct, if I am wrong or if I misunderstood.

Sunil Datta

ADM

Jun 30, 2009, 6:19:24 AM6/30/09
to Passion4Freedom

> 1st question is that RHEL is proprietary software (as per my knowledge, as
> it is not free). So, do you think, helping someone for RHEL is right, as
> this will mean that we are indirectly helping proprietary software.

RHEL is not a proprietary distribution but a commercial one. A
commercial software is not necessarily proprietary. Even a
non-commercial software can be proprietary. A Free software must be
available for commercial use. Because we do not talk about Free as in
Free Beer but as in Free Speech. We talk about Freedom of the users
and not about Free of cost things (or gratis).

Check [1] and [2]

> 2nd Question knocks my mind that Fedora is a project of Redhat, where Redhat
> gives the platform to develop, when the project is completed upto a good
> level, it is refined and put into RHEL, and supporting fedora means that we
> are indirectly supporting proprietary. After all support is support, whether
> direct or indirect.

As long as you contribute to Free software (and specially software
covered by GPL) you need not worry of your efforts serving proprietary
goals. As GPL makes it almost impossible for anybody to close the
nature of the software covered by it. GPL says any derivative work
must be released under same license.

Check [3]

--- ADM

[1] http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/commercial-floss.html

[2] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html

[3] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

sunil datta

Jul 3, 2009, 2:24:02 PM7/3/09
to Passion4Freedom
Thanks ADM for sending me the such a useful links, I will read it
carefully, and if in doubt, I will get back to you. In the mean time I
want to know where can I download complete source codes for RHEL 5.3.

Indranil Das Gupta

Jul 3, 2009, 3:45:53 PM7/3/09
to tp...@googlegroups.com
Sunil,

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 11:54 PM, sunil datta<fed...@opensourcenuts.com> wrote:
<snipped>

> Thanks ADM for sending me the such a useful links, I will read it
> carefully, and if in doubt, I will get back to you. In the mean time I
> want to know where can I download complete source codes for RHEL 5.3.

http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS/

and

http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Client/en/os/SRPMS/

of course all the versions through the updates are present there. And
you are supposed to pick up the version specific for RHEL 5 update 3
:)

-idg

fedora

Jul 4, 2009, 10:54:04 AM7/4/09