Pluggable total applications

e3satt...@gmail.com

May 9, 2014, 9:16:09 AM5/9/14
to tot...@googlegroups.com
I love the config driven style of total.js, However I feel like it still suffers from the same problem as other popular frameworks. which is it is really difficult to share modules / components / definitions, views, etc.

the directions for official total.js modules is basically the same:
  • Copy Foo.js
  • npm install Foo-dependancy
  • modify config-foo
everytime there is a change to total.js or the module is updated, i have to re-copy chunks of code around to apply an update

What would be way better is if I could:
  • npm install total-foo
  • tell framework to use total-foo ( add to a config )
done.

A package could define as much or as little as it wanted. framework would just need to expose the hooks, and pass it self through.

updates then can become:
  • npm update --save

NPM is a pretty awesome system that handles modules, depenencies and version really well and total js

Peter Širka

May 12, 2014, 5:25:17 PM5/12/14
to tot...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I wrote total.js package manager ...

Example:

$ tpm install ddos

$ tpm uninstall ddos

$ tpm create my-package

[t]otal [p]ackage [m]anager ... I did not invent a better name. I must write a good documentation for package manager.
New version will be in next week (I hope).

Thanks.

Ω Alisson

May 12, 2014, 6:11:53 PM5/12/14
to Peter Širka, tot...@googlegroups.com
Why reinvent the wheel? What npm can't offer?

Peter Širka

May 13, 2014, 1:26:06 AM5/13/14
to tot...@googlegroups.com, Peter Širka
No, npm is great. TPM will be a bit other.
TPM is a binary file only.

Thanks.

e3satt...@gmail.com

May 16, 2014, 10:27:06 AM5/16/14
to tot...@googlegroups.com, Peter Širka
this is a great start!

I think what he was getting at was to make tpm a helper around npm, which is a module you can install and use programatically as well.

cleverstack does basically that in a really nice way