[bad] Allrecipe.com seems to think it can limit free-speech linking

Robin Monks

Dec 3, 2012, 9:43:48 PM12/3/12
to to...@googlegroups.com
Hyperlinks
You are granted a limited, nonexclusive right to create a hyperlink to the homepage or recipe home page of this Web site only, provided such link does not portray Allrecipes or any of its products and services in a false, misleading, derogatory, or otherwise defamatory manner. This limited right may be revoked at any time.

I'm pretty such providing a hyperlink is still consider free speech; although that they feel they force their users into controlling this is a definite negative in my book.

/Robin

Ian McGowan

Dec 7, 2012, 10:02:47 AM12/7/12
to to...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure about this one. To me, this is more like Allrecipes being explicit and saying "Hey, you can do this, but don't commit libel." I definitely think anything that infringes upon free speech is terrible, but I'm not sure I see free speech as the central issue here. This seems like it might be a fairly standard clause, actually. Do you know if any other services include similar clauses? What are your thoughts about this? Anyone else care to chime in, as well?

Ian