[Bad] you agree not to reverse-engineer Amazon's software

anyt...@michielbdejong.com

Mar 5, 2013, 12:29:11 AM3/5/13
to to...@googlegroups.com
"You may not, and you will not encourage, assist or authorize any other
person to copy, modify, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble, or
otherwise tamper with, the Amazon Software, whether in whole or in part,
or create any derivative works from or of the Amazon Software."
https://github.com/tosdr/tosback2/blob/265e49bf24a91076495ce1fddf279c4638421a66/crawl/amazon.com/Conditions%20of%20Use.txt#L259

i feel that just as they have a right to publish software in
obfuscated, closed-source form, i as a user should have a right to try
to learn from it. if i click 'view source' to see which font they used
in a header then that is part of my natural right to explore my
environment.

Curiosity is not a crime. :)

Ian McGowan

May 22, 2013, 8:22:41 AM5/22/13
to to...@googlegroups.com, anyt...@michielbdejong.com
Curiosity isn't, but I don't think that's what they're talking about here. Simply looking at their source code doesn't violate this clause, at least the way I read it.

Hugo Roy

May 23, 2013, 2:12:48 PM5/23/13
to to...@googlegroups.com, anyt...@michielbdejong.com
I would keep that out of ToS;DR. If Amazon was doing free
software, we would know about it ;-)

--
Hugo Roy, Project Lead
Terms of Service; Didn't Read | www.tosdr.org