[Bad] Nokia Account - You can be charged without notice

André

Oct 10, 2012, 5:25:58 PM10/10/12
to to...@googlegroups.com
https://account.nokia.com/acct/public/termsAndConditions?country=US
As of version from September 2011:

Under term 10. Order and Payment Terms:

"The Service may also offer a trial period. If your Order involves a trial period (also known as try-and-buy), you may be charged when the trial period expires, unless you cancel in accordance with the subscription/trial terms."

You can be charged without notice, you need to keep track of your purchases carefully.

--
André - An_dz

Robin Monks

Dec 5, 2012, 8:41:35 AM12/5/12
to to...@googlegroups.com, an...@myopera.com
Although automatically paying at the end of a trail seems (although horrible) like standard industry practice, I'm also concerned that they seem to offer no warning before any price changes go into effect:

The Service may offer subscriptions. You authorize the Service to place a periodical charge during the period of the subscription. The Service may also offer a trial period. If your Order involves a trial period (also known as try-and-buy), you may be charged when the trial period expires, unless you cancel in accordance with the subscription/trial terms.

The prices in the Service may change from time to time. Prices include applicable taxes in effect at the time of your transaction, unless otherwise stated. There may be instances where you incur additional charges from your bank or credit card provider based on currency conversion rates used and/or additional fees assessed. Nokia assumes no responsibility for the payment of bank or any other third party service fees or charges.

At the very least, their T&C doesn't require them to. I see that as perhaps a more important issue than the trial alone.

Should this be one negative point:

* Trail offers bill automatically at the end of the trial, subscription fees may change any time without notice.

Or broken into two?

* Trail offers will be billed automatically at the end of the trail period if not canceled before the end of the period.
* Subscription rates and fees may change at any time without notice.

/Robin

Ian McGowan

Dec 9, 2012, 12:32:45 PM12/9/12
to to...@googlegroups.com, an...@myopera.com
I personally feel this should be broken into two points. The first point about the trial bills doesn't seem nearly as bad as "our prices change and we won't tell you" point. I think the Trial point is a fairly standard practice, and although that doesn't make it a good practice necessarily, being standard means that more consumers potentially are aware of that (to me). Thoughts?

Ian