(good+bad) Yahoo copyright license is limited. The license ends when the user removes the content.

Hugo Roy

Aug 13, 2012, 2:36:44 PM8/13/12
to tosdr
So we have an ambivalent case. The copyright license can be both good
and bad here, depending on the type of content that's licensed.

http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/utos-173.html
Section 9 CONTENT SUBMITTED OR MADE AVAILABLE FOR INCLUSION ON
THE YAHOO! SERVICES

Yahoo! does not claim ownership of Content you submit or make
available for inclusion on the Yahoo! Services. However, with
respect to Content you submit or make available for inclusion on
publicly accessible areas of the Yahoo! Services, you grant
Yahoo! the following worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive
license(s), as applicable:

Definition of "publicly accessible" follows.

This part is only about Yahoo! Groups. (We should create a thread
specific to yahoo groups maybe.)

With respect to Content you submit or make available for
inclusion on publicly accessible areas of Yahoo! Groups, the
license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly
perform and publicly display such Content on the Yahoo! Services
solely for the purposes of providing and promoting the specific
Yahoo! Group to which such Content was submitted or made
available. This license exists only for as long as you elect to
continue to include such Content on the Yahoo! Services and will
terminate at the time you remove or Yahoo! removes such Content
from the Yahoo! Services.

The copyright license is limited for the purpose of the service (and
doesn't include rights to transfer+sublicense) and terminates when the
user removes the content.

For photos and graphics (Flickr) audio or video, it's pretty much the
same:

With respect to photos, graphics, audio or video you submit
or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of
the Yahoo! Services other than Yahoo! Groups, the license to
use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform and
publicly display such Content on the Yahoo! Services solely for
the purpose for which such Content was submitted or made
available. This license exists only for as long as you elect to
continue to include such Content on the Yahoo! Services and will
terminate at the time you remove or Yahoo! removes such Content
from the Yahoo! Services.

But for anything that's not photos, graphics, audio or video, it's not
really good:

With respect to Content other than photos, graphics, audio
or video you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly
accessible areas of the Yahoo! Services other than Yahoo!
Groups, __the perpetual, irrevocable and fully sublicensable
license__ to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish,
translate, publicly perform and publicly display such Content
(in whole or in part) and to incorporate such Content into other
works in any format or medium now known or later developed.

I don't really know what to make of that. Which services other than
Yahoo Groups deal with this kind of content?

"Publicly accessible" areas of the Yahoo! Services are those
areas of the Yahoo! network of properties that are intended by
Yahoo! to be available to the general public. By way of example,
publicly accessible areas of the Yahoo! Services would include
Yahoo! Message Boards and portions of Yahoo! Groups and Flickr
that are open to both members and visitors. However, publicly
accessible areas of the Yahoo! Services would not include
portions of Yahoo! Groups that are limited to members, Yahoo!
services intended for private communication such as Yahoo! Mail
or Yahoo! Messenger, or areas off of the Yahoo! network of
properties such as portions of World Wide Web sites that are
accessible via hypertext or other links but are not hosted or
served by Yahoo!.
--
Hugo Roy
French Coordinator, FSFE chat: hu...@jabber.fsfe.org

Pantsburgh

Aug 13, 2012, 4:34:05 PM8/13/12
to to...@googlegroups.com
In the context of Flickr this is fine, since it means only your descriptions and comments are under a sublicensable license. In the context of Yahoo as a whole I have no idea what that means. Flickr is the only Yahoo service that I am familiar with.

fjm...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2012, 1:27:40 PM8/14/12
to to...@googlegroups.com
This is something I have been thinking about in the context of drafting terms and conditions for my own clients (Hi by the way - I'm a solo practitioner based in London, UK).

The problem with a limited copyright licence is, what someone stops having any relationship with you and terminates the relationship, do you have to remove all the content they have contributed? In the case of (say) comments on blog posts that could be annoying. In some cases a perpetual/irrevocable licence may be the best way to make sure that what you have remains coherent.

Might this not depend on context? For a project like OSM or wikipedia, you absolutely need something that is irrevocable otherwise the whole thing becomes unmanageable, on the other hand for facebook it might be reasonable for users to demand not only data portability but also the right to remove what they have contributed and thereafter prevent facebook from using it.

This is just my half-pennyworth. I haven't seen any general theoretical framework of rights you are using so I don't quite know how to judge.

Francis

Ian McGowan

Jun 12, 2013, 1:53:44 PM6/12/13
to to...@googlegroups.com, fjm...@gmail.com
My thinking is that the average user is going to be more concerned about what happens to their photos, graphics, audio and/or video than about any comments they might make on a discussion board (not that that information isn't important to some users, but I feel like average users care more about the more obvious content, i.e., photos, etc.).

Here's what I would propose:

Title: Yahoo has a limited copyright license

Topic: Scope of the copyright license

Summary: For photos, graphics, audio or video that you make publicly available, the license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform and publicly display such Content on the Yahoo! Services solely for the purpose for which such Content was submitted or made available. This license exists only for as long as you elect to continue to include such Content on the Yahoo! Services and will
terminate at the time you remove or Yahoo! removes such Content from the Yahoo! Services. For any other content you submit, however, you grant Yahoo! an irrevocable, sublicensable license to use, distribute, repoduce, modify, or adapt as they choose.

Score: 50 (mediocre)