Weebly (website / blogging service)

Jonathan Fichter

Jan 11, 2013, 7:36:28 PM1/11/13
to to...@googlegroups.com
  • I created an account and logged in without being prompted to read or accept the terms of service. When I finally found the TOS, they said "By using the Service, you signify your acceptance of these Terms." So I guess users accept them whether they know it or not.
  • "Individuals under the age of 13 are prohibited from creating or using accounts through Weebly.com. Students under the age of 13 may, however, use Weebly through special student accounts created by their teachers through education.weebly.com, provided the teacher has obtained signed parental consent from the student's parents."
  • Using Weebly means you agree by default that they can email you newsletters, etc. But you can opt out of some or all of these: "You may opt out of emails you receive from Weebly or any of our partners for promotions, sweepstakes, contests or newsletters by visiting http://www.weebly.com/weebly/unsubscribe.php."
  • It appears to be easy to delete your account.
  • If I'm reading this correctly, it looks like they do not use your content for advertising purposes. That's better than the past few services I've rated on TOSDR. "We do not want to receive confidential or proprietary information from you through the Service or by email. Unless otherwise agreed in writing by an authorized Weebly representative, any material, information or idea you transmit to us by any means may be disseminated or used by us or our affiliates without compensation or liability to you for any purpose whatsoever, including, but not limited to, developing, manufacturing and marketing products. However, this provision does not apply to Content (as defined herein), or to personal information that is subject to our Privacy Policy."
  • They'll settle disputes in an actual court (in San Francisco) rather than through arbitration. That's more consumer-friendly than the past few services I've looked at. "These Terms and the relationship between you and Weebly shall be governed by the laws of the State of California without regard to its conflict of law provisions. You and Weebly agree to submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of the courts located within San Francisco, California."
  • Cookies and data collection. You can opt out: "We also use cookies to improve the performance of our advertising on other websites. Although you may not opt out of receiving online advertisements generally, you may control the collection of data on our site used for targeted weebly.com advertising during your visits to other websites. To opt-out of weebly.com data collection for targeted advertising on other sites, click here: [ http://teffect.weebly.com/optout.html ]"

Hugo Roy

Jan 12, 2013, 6:18:26 AM1/12/13
to to...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonathan

Thanks for your contribution. Just a point about the form: it is best to divide all topics in their own thread. So I would say that each bullet point below should be one email. It may seem cumbersome. But that way it's easier to keep track of the discussion and to make comparisons.

Could you re-post them, or we can do it for you.

Thanks

Jonathan Fichter

Jan 12, 2013, 3:44:27 PM1/12/13
to to...@googlegroups.com
Noted. Will post as separate bullets.

Jonathan Fichter

Jan 12, 2013, 3:56:22 PM1/12/13
to to...@googlegroups.com
HI Hugo,

I think I fixed it by posting as separate bullets. Thanks for helping me learn the ropes. I would welcome any other tips about how to contribute in a style that's compatible with your project.

Best,

Jonathan

Hugo Roy

Jan 12, 2013, 5:12:15 PM1/12/13
to to...@googlegroups.com
Le samedi 12 janvier 2013 à 12:56 -0800, Jonathan Fichter a écrit :
> HI Hugo,
>
> I think I fixed it by posting as separate bullets. Thanks for helping me
> learn the ropes. I would welcome any other tips about how to contribute in
> a style that's compatible with your project.
>
> Best,
>
> Jonathan

We try to make things as easy to understand as possible on
http://tos-dr.info/get-involved.html

I'd like your feedback on that page actually,

Thanks
--
Hugo Roy
FSFE Legal Team Deputy Coordinator