[Good] Newsblur allows import & export, is open source

Jan-Christoph Borchardt

Jun 20, 2012, 8:31:46 PM6/20/12
to Terms of Service, Didn’t Read
Newsblur is a feed reader which allows for easy OPML import & export,
also Google reader import: http://newsblur.com

On top of that, it’s free software (MIT) https://github.com/samuelclay/NewsBlur

Also, you only need a username to use the service. Password and email
are completely optional, which is good for anonymity.

Michiel de Jong

Sep 21, 2012, 12:14:54 PM9/21/12
to to...@googlegroups.com, h...@jancborchardt.net
the last point is not true, i just tried signing up and it required my email address.

interestingly, it seems they have no terms of service. :) is that good or bad? i guess it's good, right? because it means they don't ask anything of you. but them not having a privacy policy might mean they can do things unpunished that other services promise not to do? so maybe that's bad?

for now i'll put down the point about im-/export as well as the point about free software, leave out the point about anonymity, and we need to find out whether it's good or bad not to have ToS and not to have PP, so i'm leaving that still as open discussion.

em4...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2012, 2:03:41 PM9/25/12
to to...@googlegroups.com, h...@jancborchardt.net
With regard to the Terms of Service, who cares if it's free software? That has nothing to do with the terms of use...

Hugo Roy

Oct 3, 2012, 1:52:07 PM10/3/12
to to...@googlegroups.com, h...@jancborchardt.net, em4...@gmail.com
If they have no terms, then there is no point about the data import. They could remove this feature any time they want. You can add the open standards property along with the fact that it uses free software inside the service.json file; but there are no points there. Please delete.

Michiel de Jong

Oct 3, 2012, 2:24:26 PM10/3/12
to to...@googlegroups.com, h...@jancborchardt.net, em4...@gmail.com
done.

it's not actually "deleting the data" as such, we do keep a trace of the fact that we discussed this. but i marked both points from this thread as 'additional' so they're no longer displaying.

Hugo Roy

Oct 3, 2012, 2:30:05 PM10/3/12
Le mercredi 03 octobre 2012 à 11:24 -0700, Michiel de Jong a écrit :
> but i marked both points from this thread as
> 'additional' so they're no longer displaying.

Since information about using open standards or using free software is
in the services/ directory, these additional points are creating
meaningless duplication and will be removed, not treated as
"additional" which are other kinds of points.
--
Hugo Roy
French Coordinator, FSFE chat: hu...@jabber.fsfe.org

Michiel de Jong

Oct 3, 2012, 3:07:16 PM10/3/12
to to...@googlegroups.com, h...@jancborchardt.net, em4...@gmail.com
ok, Hugo and i had a chat about it, there's indeed a difference between 'additional' and 'irrelevant', so from now on i'll classify each thread as one of: 'direct', 'meta', 'additional', 'irrelevant', 'disputed'.

apart from that i'll add a search filter that will allow you to search only for services that are hosted instances of a free software application.

Hugo Roy

Oct 4, 2012, 8:00:13 AM10/4/12
Le mercredi 03 octobre 2012 à 12:07 -0700, Michiel de Jong a écrit :
> 'direct', 'meta',

I think these are not needed, because sometimes they mix each other. For
instance, points about how the terms get changed are both direct and
meta. Most of the terms from "governance" are both direct and meta, etc.
Easy to read are not "direct" because there is no clause like: we make
terms which are easy to read. So it's meta… but it's very directly
connected. So really, I would drop that distinction, especially since
both have influence on the class.