[bad] Skype Education makes broad claims about owning your content, and it defines "content" broadly

Jonathan Fichter

Dec 8, 2012, 3:27:49 PM12/8/12
to to...@googlegroups.com
https://education.skype.com/terms

Here's the first time it mentions the word "content." I'm assuming that this is the definition it uses throughout:

"You may not submit or publish through the Skype Education Portal any text, sounds, pictures, photos, video, hypertext links and/or any type of information, comments, suggestions or ideas (“Content”) that: (a) is libellous, defamatory...."

Later in the agreement, it says the following about your content:

"You hereby grant Skype, its affiliates and agents a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sub-licensable and transferable licence to use, reproduce, distribute, modify, adapt, translate, publicly display and perform and create derivative works from and display the Content in any media for any purpose. You hereby waive any and all moral rights (including rights to attribution) that you may have in any Content."

Robin Monks

Dec 8, 2012, 7:35:59 PM12/8/12
to to...@googlegroups.com
Give us your things and we will claim them as ours! Muwhaha! *clears throat*

/Robin

Ian McGowan

Dec 10, 2012, 11:14:53 AM12/10/12
to to...@googlegroups.com
Disturbing. I've made this into two points:

1) broad copyright license (incl. definition of 'content')
2) waiving your rights to your content

They've been curated and will be on the site soon. Thanks, Jonathan!

Hugo Roy

Dec 10, 2012, 11:17:27 AM12/10/12
to to...@googlegroups.com
Le lundi 10 décembre 2012 à 08:14 -0800, Ian McGowan a écrit :
> 2) waiving your rights to your content

This is a waiver of "moral rights". It is a very specific kind of rights
under some copyright laws. This should be precised ;)

--
Hugo Roy
French Coordinator, FSFE chat: hu...@jabber.fsfe.org

Ian McGowan

Dec 10, 2012, 11:33:25 AM12/10/12
to to...@googlegroups.com
Dually noted. I'll be specific in the data point. Thanks!

Ian McGowan

Jun 28, 2013, 2:49:07 PM6/28/13
to to...@googlegroups.com