Are ToS;DR reviews and ratings stored in a database?

Brian Erdelyi

Dec 7, 2012, 6:59:52 AM12/7/12
to to...@googlegroups.com
Good Morning,

Are ToS;DR reviews and ratings stored in a DB?  If so, is it possible to get these in a spreadsheet?

Looking at the ratings this DB schema would look something like:

Service Name | Service URL | Term | Term rating

A second table could be used to store the ToS;DR Class.

If this doesn't exist, I'll just copy/paste into a spreadsheet so I can review the terms and see what can be done to normalize those terms.  I'd also like to consider using this with a web based form to gather results.

Brian Erdelyi

Robin Monks

Dec 7, 2012, 7:10:43 AM12/7/12
to to...@googlegroups.com
Tos;DR would fit nicely into a CouchDB database... Cloudant++

/Robin

Brian Erdelyi

--
www.tos-dr.info // www.twitter.com/tosdr // www.github.com/didnotread
---

President, Podhurl Inc.
Drupal Association Individual Member

Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God, will come to know God because they know you.

Brian Erdelyi

Dec 7, 2012, 7:53:46 AM12/7/12
to Robin Monks, to...@googlegroups.com
Is that where reviews are now or is each review manually posted?

Sent from my iPhone

Robin Monks

Dec 7, 2012, 8:16:05 AM12/7/12
to to...@googlegroups.com, Robin Monks
From the source it looks to be all manual. Since Cloudant is best at storing JSON data, and this is JSON data... it seems like a match made in heaven.

/Robin

mic...@michielbdejong.com

Dec 7, 2012, 11:30:45 AM12/7/12
to to...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian, it is currently stored in javascript format, so flat JSON files, from which the html is generated using nodejs scripts. See the buildIndexes.js and render.js scripts in https://github.com/didnotread/didnotread.org

For javascript programmers this format is much easier to use than various spreadsheet formats, which is why we chose it. Maybe your spreadsheet software is capable of importing JSON - or maybe you can do the thing you want to do in javascript?
Anyway, all the data is there in the github repository, you can clone it and reuse it however you want.

HTH,
Michiel

Robin Monks

Dec 7, 2012, 11:31:53 AM12/7/12
to to...@googlegroups.com
Christmas prep is becoming a bit of a hassle; but if I can I'm going to try and import this data into a Cloudant table and see if I can do any cool things with the data... it's very tempting :P

/Robin

--
www.tos-dr.info // www.twitter.com/tosdr // www.github.com/didnotread
---

Brian Erdelyi

Dec 7, 2012, 5:49:37 PM12/7/12
to to...@googlegroups.com
What I'm trying to do is create a table like the one here:

In this format it's easier for me to sort and do analysis.  How can I et it to that format?

Robin Monks

Dec 7, 2012, 5:55:15 PM12/7/12
to to...@googlegroups.com
You'd need a script to read JSON and output CSV.

/Robin

Robin Monks

Dec 10, 2012, 2:53:41 PM12/10/12
to to...@googlegroups.com, ro...@robinmonks.com
Such a script now exists here:

I've attached the output it creates presently.

/Robin
points.csv

Brian Erdelyi

Dec 11, 2012, 10:19:27 AM12/11/12
to to...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful!!  This is very useful because I like workigng with CSV.

I'm reviewing the points to see how/if they can be standardized.