Non-privileged user installation

Yevgeny Zhiglov

Feb 13, 2012, 6:12:01 PM2/13/12
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
How do I install TottoiseSVN without logging in as admin user? I know
the password of the admin user, but I would like not to go this way:
logout - login as admin - install - relogin again. Is there any way
(maybe command-line) to accomplish the installation by running the
installer, entering admin password and having installation done?

Gabri Nurtinaz Shally

Feb 14, 2012, 2:03:13 AM2/14/12
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

use run as fitur.
right click the installer, there will be an option called run as.
after you click it, you'll be asked as whom you want to run this file.

if this option doesn't appear, activate fast user switching option in user account control panel.

Bob Archer

Feb 14, 2012, 9:57:40 AM2/14/12
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> How do I install TottoiseSVN without logging in as admin user? I know the
> password of the admin user, but I would like not to go this way:
> logout - login as admin - install - relogin again. Is there any way (maybe
> command-line) to accomplish the installation by running the installer, entering
> admin password and having installation done?

I would expect that is the default way it would work. Windows should auto elevate when running installers and UAC should promt you for the Admin password. What is actually happening? What happens I you "Run As Admin" on the .msi?

It may not be happening since it is an msi. You could run Command Prompt as admin, then run the installer from the command line.

BOb

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2922363

Yevgeny

Feb 14, 2012, 5:15:58 PM2/14/12
to torto...@googlegroups.com, users
Gabri Nurtinaz Shally, Bob Archer, thanks for advices.

Actually I don't see "Run as admin" or similar in the context menu. I've tried right click, shift + right click, ctrl +  right click, ctrl + shift +  right click. No such option.
I've checked control panel, both "Use fast user swtching" and "Use welcome screen" are on. I've checked services, SecLogon and FastUserSwitchingCompatibility are running. "Run as admin" appears on exe-s, but not on msi-s and bat-s.

Solution with admin command line works. Good as workaround, but it's not convenient. I usually have an open command line, but without administrative privileges.

As I almost always have command line opened, I've tried the "runas" utility (and have written tiny bat-wrapper), but it is unhandy too, because runas changes working directory, so I have to provide absolute paths.

Addidtional info.
OS: Windows XP SP3 32 bit
I try to install TortoiseSVN-1.7.5.22551-win32-svn-1.7.3.msi

Bob Archer

Feb 15, 2012, 12:34:19 PM2/15/12
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org, torto...@googlegroups.com
> Gabri Nurtinaz Shally, Bob Archer, thanks for advices.
>
> Actually I don't see "Run as admin" or similar in the context menu. I've tried
> right click, shift + right click, ctrl +  right click, ctrl + shift +  right click. No such
> option.
> I've checked control panel, both "Use fast user swtching" and "Use welcome
> screen" are on. I've checked services, SecLogon and
> FastUserSwitchingCompatibility are running. "Run as admin" appears on exe-s,
> but not on msi-s and bat-s.
>
> Solution with admin command line works. Good as workaround, but it's not
> convenient. I usually have an open command line, but without administrative
> privileges.
>
> As I almost always have command line opened, I've tried the "runas" utility
> (and have written tiny bat-wrapper), but it is unhandy too, because runas
> changes working directory, so I have to provide absolute paths.

I guess because this is an .msi it doesn't give you a Run As Admin option when you right click.

However, if you Shift-Right Click you should see the Run as a Different User and you can provide that admin credentials. That should work for you.

The strange thing is that I looked at the MSI and it does have the "Run as administrator" bit set to true... so you SHOULD be getting an elevation prompt when you just double click on the .msi and run it.

BOb

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2922990

Steve Yates

Feb 15, 2012, 12:36:32 PM2/15/12
Bob Archer wrote on Wed, Feb 15 2012 at 11:34 am:

> The strange thing is that I looked at the MSI and it does have the "Run as
> administrator" bit set to true... so you SHOULD be getting an elevation prompt
> when you just double click on the .msi and run it.

Unless perhaps UAC is turned off?

--

Steve Yates
ITS, Inc.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2922991

Yevgeny

Feb 16, 2012, 9:04:19 PM2/16/12
to torto...@googlegroups.com
As I've mentioned before, I've tried Shift + right click too, "Run as
a Different User" doesn't appear.

Maybe this helps: msiexec /? reports "Windows (R) Installer. Version
3.01.4001.5512"
WindowsXP SP3, automatic update is on? all recent updates applied.

Where is that "Run as administrator" bit could be found? I need some
additional software to be installed?

Yevgeny

Feb 16, 2012, 9:05:01 PM2/16/12
to torto...@googlegroups.com
No UAC, I run Windows XP.

Bob Archer

Feb 17, 2012, 12:01:12 PM2/17/12
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> Bob Archer wrote on Wed, Feb 15 2012 at 11:34 am:
>
> > The strange thing is that I looked at the MSI and it does have the
> > "Run as administrator" bit set to true... so you SHOULD be getting an
> > elevation prompt when you just double click on the .msi and run it.
>
> Unless perhaps UAC is turned off?

I was going to suggest that was the case. Although a shift-Right-Click should still show Run As Different User still I think. I was going to test it but didn't want to reboot my machine just to try it.

BOb

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2923779