context menu does not appear for file extension ".mat" on Windows/XP

Wandell

May 9, 2010, 8:08:41 PM5/9/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org, joyce_...@stanford.edu
Thank you in advance for any help:

Today, I installed (and reinstalled to make the icons work)
TortoiseSVN 1.6.8, Build 19260 - 32 Bit , 2010/04/16 20:20:11
on Windows XP, Service Pack 3

Nearly everything works correctly except:

When I right click on files with the extension of ".mat" the TSVN
context menu items do not appear. (The context menu items do appear
in nearly every other case, for example on directories or files with a
'.m' extension).

The '.mat' files have green checkbox icon correctly (i.e., they are
recognized as being part of the SVN repository).

I have checked the Global Ignore pattern setting, which is in its
default state

*.o *.lo *.la *.al .libs *.so *.so.[0-9]* *.a *.pyc *.pyo *.rej *~
#*# .#* .*.swp .DS_Store

I don't know what else to investigate, and I would appreciate a
suggestion.

Thank you,
Brian Wandell

Ulrich Eckhardt

May 10, 2010, 5:08:17 AM5/10/10
On Monday 10 May 2010, Wandell wrote:
> When I right click on files with the extension of ".mat" the TSVN
> context menu items do not appear. (The context menu items do appear
> in nearly every other case, for example on directories or files with a
> '.m' extension).
>
> The '.mat' files have green checkbox icon correctly (i.e., they are
> recognized as being part of the SVN repository).

Just wondering, did that work before? I have a bunch of .mad files here, which
also behave a bit strange. For example, I configured Explorer to always
display file extensions, but for those files it strangely doesn't. Also, it
seems to consider these files as links, like .lnk files, but with an
Microsoft Office Access module.

> I don't know what else to investigate, and I would appreciate a
> suggestion.

Ignore it until it becomes a real problem?

Uli

--
ML: http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/list_etiquette.html
FAQ: http://tortoisesvn.net/faq

Sator Laser GmbH, Fangdieckstraße 75a, 22547 Hamburg, Deutschland

Sator Laser GmbH, Fangdieckstraße 75a, 22547 Hamburg, Deutschland
Visit our website at <http://www.satorlaser.de/>
Diese E-Mail einschließlich sämtlicher Anhänge ist nur für den Adressaten bestimmt und kann vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie den Absender umgehend, falls Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Empfänger sein sollten. Die E-Mail ist in diesem Fall zu löschen und darf weder gelesen, weitergeleitet, veröffentlicht oder anderweitig benutzt werden.
E-Mails können durch Dritte gelesen werden und Viren sowie nichtautorisierte Änderungen enthalten. Sator Laser GmbH ist für diese Folgen nicht verantwortlich.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2606676

Stefan Küng

May 10, 2010, 12:11:02 PM5/10/10
On 10.05.2010 11:08, Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:
> On Monday 10 May 2010, Wandell wrote:
>> When I right click on files with the extension of ".mat" the TSVN
>> context menu items do not appear. (The context menu items do appear
>> in nearly every other case, for example on directories or files with a
>> '.m' extension).
>>
>> The '.mat' files have green checkbox icon correctly (i.e., they are
>> recognized as being part of the SVN repository).
>
> Just wondering, did that work before? I have a bunch of .mad files here, which
> also behave a bit strange. For example, I configured Explorer to always
> display file extensions, but for those files it strangely doesn't. Also, it
> seems to consider these files as links, like .lnk files, but with an
> Microsoft Office Access module.
>

>> I don't know what else to investigate, and I would appreciate a
>> suggestion.
>
> Ignore it until it becomes a real problem?

Those files are marked by MS as shortcut files, similar to the normal
windows shortcuts. So they're not treated as real files by the explorer.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2606917

Wandell

May 10, 2010, 7:20:42 PM5/10/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Your response suggests you think that the .mat file is associated with
a Microsoft program (Microsoft Access Table). In my system it is
associated with Matlab, not the MS program. (This can be confirmed
from looking at FileTypes and extensions). The .mat extension is
associated with Matlab data, and there is no indication that the file
is a shortcut.

Do you believe this problem cannot be corrected, and I should stop
spending my time on it?

It is important to my work - we use these Matlab data files and we
share them through SVN. These files used to work properly with TSVN,
but not with the latest release.

Thank you again,
Brian Wandell
> ------------------------------------------------------http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMess...

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2607155

Stefan Küng

May 11, 2010, 8:10:35 AM5/11/10
On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 01:20, Wandell <wan...@stanford.edu> wrote:
> Your response suggests you think that the .mat file is associated with
> a Microsoft program (Microsoft Access Table).  In my system it is
> associated with Matlab, not the MS program.  (This can be confirmed
> from looking at FileTypes and extensions).  The .mat extension is
> associated with Matlab data, and there is no indication that the file
> is a shortcut.
>
> Do you believe this problem cannot be corrected, and I should stop
> spending my time on it?
>
> It is important to my work - we use these Matlab data files and we
> share them through SVN.  These files used to work properly with TSVN,
> but not with the latest release.

If you have Access installed, mat and mad files are treated as
shortcuts, no matter if matlab uses them too.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2607561

Wandell

May 12, 2010, 2:08:38 AM5/12/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Thanks, we can consider my problem solved then.

I uninstalled Microsoft Access Table and the TSVN context menu now
appears correctly when I right-click .mat files. I also created a
file with a .mad extension (as per Uli) and the menu appears for that,
as well.

Thank you again for your help.

Brian Wandell

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2607970